I have a 4 year old that is affraid of the wind even just a breeze how can I help him to over come this?

CyCaseCandimom

Asked by CyCaseCandimom at 7:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is it painful to him? I saw a case on tv where a little girl was afraid of the wind because it literally hurt her skin. She was very sensitive to it. Does your son cry?

If it's not related to the above, maybe you can show him how to fly a kite. It might keep his mind off of the wind while he's having a good time with the kite flying lesson.

Good luck!
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 8:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well It is not painfull to him and last weekend we tryed the flying kites idea and it didnt work he sat in the van the whole time. Any other ideas would be appriciated.
    CyCaseCandimom

Answer by CyCaseCandimom at 10:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• PRAY
    Harley5

Answer by Harley5 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My now 6 yr old use dto be afraid of the wind due to the fact that we wer ein florida for hurricane frances. she was 18 months at the time and she remembered it. when we got home she was terrified of the wind, candles and fire trucks. I would turn on a fan and she would flip out if she heard it or felt it. so i would take ribbons and tie em on to the fan and let her see it. I would also talk into the fan so she could hear the funny sound it makes when it cuts your sound waves. this got her to start tolerating the feelof it. but if we wer eoutside and it started to blow she would freak.
    I just had to keep re-enforcing to her that it was not going to hurt her and it was ok . the wind is needed to help the birds and bees and the sun and rain make flowers. she eventually got over the 3 fears.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I know how you feel, mine is afraid of grass. I agree with the previous poster, you can't really do a whole lot.Just keep coming up with ways to make it fun and non-threatening.. keep offering to introduce him to it but don't force. Being face to face at his level helps. Unfortunately you can't make him do it.. he has to do it for himself. But you can be supportive and helpful, hold his hand, speak calmly etc.. hold him when he's just too upset to try anymore.. and eventually he'll get the hang of it, like kids who dislike the dark, or water or just about anything really. Like the old phrase.. if at first you don't succeed.. try try again.

s.teph

Answer by s.teph at 12:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Don't make a big deal out of it. If you guys are outside and he says something about being scared of the wind just calmly tell him, "Mommy is here and will not let the wind hurt you. You don't need to be scared." Don't try to "sell" him on the benefits of the wind or the fun you can have in the wind, just make it a non-issue.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Thank you for the great answers, guess we just have to take it one day at a time just like everything else.
    CyCaseCandimom

Answer by CyCaseCandimom at 3:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I didn't see where you live, but is it possible that he's heard on the news or people talking about the high winds? My daughter has allergies and she'd heard me telling people that the winds make it worse, that on windy days she couldn't go outside to play.
    Lately we've been having a lot of wind alerts... is it possible he's heard people talking about the wind being too high or someone mentioning how the wind blew the vehicle around?
    Kids hear things we dont' even think about them taking out of context.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 4:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2009