How long did it take?

This question is important. How far in to the relationship did your ex or SO become physically abusive? I mean, we are all here for a reason, and a lot are in emotional/verbal abusive relationships, but for those of you who have been in physically abusive, how long did it take for it to reach that point? And did it build up or just happen suddenly?

Are there any of you whose SO's didnt touch them p hsycially until after 5 years, or even 10 years?

MissLisaMarie

Asked by MissLisaMarie at 7:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• 3 yrs

Answer by admckenzie at 7:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my husband and i have been married 2 years and together 4 years. he hasnt hit me and if he ever does....well i will leave that to the imagination lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I have never had my husband or any past boyfriend lay a single finger on me.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• you should never let any oneabuse you , you should get out of the relationship it will only get worse
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• 3yr and still with him
    Anonymous

• Never. I have been married for 24 years. If he'd have ever hit me or belittled me or bossed me, I wouldn't still be married.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 9:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Ive told every guy I've been with to make the first one a good one,cause I'll find a way to take you down good,then I'm gone.I had a boyfriend in high school that tried to pour bleach in my eyes when I wanted to break up,and I broke his nose and took off.I would never accept ANY abuse.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Honey, I am coming up to my 21st wedding anniversary and my husband has never been verbally or physically abusive.  There should never be violence in any relationship.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It took five years for him to decompensate enough to try to kill me (this was my ex BF). It started with verbal abuse, calling me names and being rude towards me. That turned into controlling behavior, monitoring my phone calls, calling me a hundred times a day at work and accusing me of cheating. The first time he hit me was the last time he hit me though. I had gotten pregnant, told him, he flipped out, accused me of cheating again, and then proceeded to beat me and tried to drown me, beat me some more with a bottle of bleach until it split open, tried to drown me again, and finally, he dragged me by the hair into the bedroom where he finished beating the unborn child out of me. I tried to press charges but he skipped town. Eventually, he showed his face again where I live now, but my highly-trained German Shepherd put a stop to that (and a set of teethmarks in his ass).
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2009