Is he to young

my 7 month old son has a cold and some wheezing going on and when he drinks his milk it comes right back up due to him having this cold and i was asking someone what could i give him that he could keep down and they told me soy milk i wanted to know if anyone have ever tried to give this to there infant before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pedialyte
    Anonymous

• if he is 7 mo old and wheezing he needs to be seen by the doc
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If he has a cold, giving him soy milk will not help with his throwing up. The reason he throws up is because the mucous is draining down his throat. Soy milk will not solve anything.. Good luck, hope he gets better. BTW- have you talked to your pedi about the wheezing? The first time my oldest got a cold, he had wheezing and we found out he had mild asthma. It only came up when he got sick.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• They aren't going to do anything for wheezing unless they are struggling to breathe. I know this for a fact. They will not diagnose with asthma until they are 3 unless there are very obvious symptoms (decreased O2 rates) and strong family history. Suction his nose, put a cool mist humidifier in his room, and feel small amounts every 20 min (1oz every 20 min), give pedialyte as well if he cannot keep that down. Do not need to give soy milk.
    Anonymous

• Sit with him in a steamy bathroom until the wheezing let's up. The steam will help loosen the phlegm, too.
    Anonymous

• anon :54, they did breathing treatments for my son when he wheezed. he was only 11 months. They diagnosed him with asthma (his father has chronic asthma) and set him up with an inhaler and nebulizer, thankfully i have not needed to use it since. but yeha.. my son wasnt strugging to breathe and they still did the neb treatment, and it helped.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 8:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• ummm they do do something for a wheezing baby, a neb treatment & if nessisary other meds, and a follow up to check on them, breathing is kinda important, docs (& us ped nurses) kinda worry when a baby has probs w it
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• There's a soy formula if his stomach is upset. I wouldn't do straight soy milk.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son also was prescribed breathing treatments for wheezing and asthma when he was under 2 yrs old. A baby that is wheezing needs to be seen by the Dr.!!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• His stomach is upset because of the mucous (as mentioned before). He shouldn't be having milk at 7 months, but that's a different issue.

Elevate the head of his bed
    Steam in the bathroom and suction his nose as you can.
    Saline nasal drops and suction as you can.
    Humidifier (steam or cool mist which ever works better for him)
    Tylenol for discomfort.

If he is wheezing, have him seen to rule out any other problems. Yes, if the wheezing is bad enough, they will do something especially at the infant stage. And yes, they do diagnose asthma before the age of three, but it's not completely clear cut. It doesn't usually happen over the course of one cold ( I said "usually" lol) My son was diagnosed with it just before he was 2, my other son just as he turned three. Wheezing is never a good thing, and unless you can tell if it's coming from his throat (congestion...babies can't clear their throats) or his chest, take him in.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009