One year olds.....

What do you do/did you do with your one year old all day? We do a variety of things, but still sometimes are at a loss for what to do next. I'm a stay-at-home mom, and I get so restless when there's nothing to do, and activities seem to be so limited with such a small child. She entertains herself well for the most part, but i'm curious about other stimulating things I can do with her. So what are/were your one year old's favorite activities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has a collection of different sized,a nd colored bouncy balls. He loves just rolling, bouncing, playing with them. I like taking him for long walks to the park too. He loves ching our dog. lol, these are just a couple of his favorites. I also am a stay at home mama, he loves watching blucs cluse and pee wee, haha they both dance and talk/sing funny, he always laughs when they are on.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• oops thats says chasing our dog.
    LucasMama08

• my son is fixing to be one very soon. these days our social life exists at the library playgroups. we've both managed to make friends, and although it is only at the playgroups we see them, it's good for now. we have just moved and have a huge backyard. i take him outside a lot and allow him to explore with a watchful eye of course. thats pretty much it. other than he is quite independant and has a longer attention span and play with his toys quite contently. he is also practically running now. I have this fun game where I crawl behind him asking "whatcha doin?? where ya goin? over and over and he laughs and runs along as if i'm chasing him. that entertains us both for a while lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We also try to rotate independent play with mommy and me games. We take walks, and go to a play group a couple of times a month. We will soon be joining a library story time so that we have an activity each week. This is the age where everything is new and great. Since summer is coming some fun activities to try would be going outside and finger painting a trash bag or some butcher paper with pudding and whipped cream (messy yes, but great for the everything goes in the mouth age....waterhose recommended for cleanup), If you have a large tub, put on your swim suits and "go swimming" together, try coloring, etc.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• For independent games, I give my DD crayons to color with when I'm writing up paperwork. When I'm working one the computer, I give her her little laptop (got from toys'r'us, for 9+ months). Basically anything that replicates what I am doing. In the kitchen I give her a few pots and pans and mixing spoons, etc.

For games together: we always do 30 minutes of kids music, where I get up and dance around with her (this is my way of getting my exercise, lol) sometimes when the weather is nice we go to the park to play, or for a walk. Or we get out her toys and we do learning games, like building blocks, or letter/picture games. Twice a week we do play dates with my brother who has a son that was born the same day as her. One a week we go shopping together and I get her a new toy. And about every two or three weeks we try to get out and do something new, next week we are going to the zoo. MY dd is 15 months now.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My DD and I get out of the house every day, even if it's just to get some fresh air outside. We have play dates with friends we've met here on cafemom, we go to story time at libraries and also at Borders bookstores. We sing songs, I chase her around, she "helps" in the kitchen by pulling out all the measuring cups and tupperware stuff that is in her special cupboard. And like I said, we always get outside to go for a walk and now that it's nice out, we will be going to parks.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 8:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2009