• In the Spotlight:

what would you do?

My 5 year old daughter is adhd, odd, and has bipolar disorder, I took her to the grocery and she threw a temper tantrum because I refused to buy her a certain cereal, well I continued on with my shopping ignoring her tantrum and several other people in the store were telling me I needed to "POP HER IN THE MOUTH AND SHE WILL STOP THAT", well I do not use physical punishment because I see no need in it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I also have a daughter with ADHD & ODD. When she would have high pitched tantrums in stores I used to take her right out of the store and bring her home. I then realized that I was the one being punished because she had her toys at home and I didn't get to run the errand or buy the groceries. So I began letting her have her tantrums in the stores and eventually learned to turn a deaf ear to the other customers and my daughters screaming demands at me. Another trick I learned was to try to schedule my errand/shopping times after she had a nap and snack so she was in a better mood. I brought her "blankie" everywhere to try to keep her calm. I tried to bring a toy to distract her, but she would just throw it, so I didn't do that anymore. Many times I would wait for my husband to come home so I could go out and do the errands and shopping then. It is difficult, but don't listen to those people - they're ignorant. {{HUGS}}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Don't worry about the busy bodies. They are just being "helpful".
    Just ignore them.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my son a friend and myself were having breakfast one morning at hardees and my son started having a fit about something and you know how many oldies are in there...the one lady came up to me and told me to " put a muzzle on that kid"! i could not believe it! i told the lady to leave if she didnt want to hear kids in PUBLIC! really pissed me off!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If possible don't go grocery shopping with her if it bothers you what others say. If she can't help herself and she's going to do it everytime and you just don't want to deal with it, nobody is going to call you a bad parent for leaving her at home with a babysitter. But somebody is going to stare and make a big deal out of it everytime she goes off.
    I don't bring all of my boys out grocery shopping, I know that's trouble that I can avoid, so I usually do.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 5:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• ignore them. your kid, not thiers
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My daughter is 6 with autism and I had the same problem. I started making a list even if I didn't need one. Then before we even got in the car I would remind her that we are only buying what's on Mommy's list. I would repeat this all the way to the store. when she would ask for something i tell her we have to check the list. It has helped alot, it doesn't always work but it helps more often than not.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• tell them to butt out
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 11, 2009