what should i do

i took my 6yrs old to the doc today and they said that she weigh66 pounds to me thats healthy but they want me to put her on a diet does anyone else think that is to big for a 6 yrs old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I dont know how tall your child is but 66lbs does sound like a bit much to me, my 9 year old is 62lbs. and she is NOT on the skinny side, she is 4'3", my son is 4'1'' and he weighs 55lbs oh he is 7 by the way but he IS on the skinny side
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Take your doctors advice and follow his plan to the tee. We really don't see our own kids as being overweight at all, but the pros know what they're talking about. You don't want her weight to get out of control - it happens faster than you realize - because it can lead to serious health problems. Better to nip it in the bud. A word of advice: Go on the "diet" with her. If you change your eating and excersise habits as a family, she will be way more successful. Good luck, momma!
    Anonymous

• is she tall?
    what percents are her high and weight?
    generally that is big for 6, bur height plays in to the equasion
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My DD is six and weighs 52 lbs... She is tall for her age too... I'd say follow your doctors advice or ask for a second opinion.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My SD is 4 foot 1.5 inches tall and 67 pounds. She is 8 years old (9 in July). So, considering she is 2 years younger than her, it sounds big. Also, my 6 yr. old nephew only weighs 50 pounds. He is about 46 inches tall. He is a little thin, but not skinny. My SD is average to short for her age. She isn't skinny, but she isn't a big girl either.

It sounds to me that your doctor is looking out for your daughters best interest. A change in her diet might help her to develop healthy eating habits....

but as all the others have said, height does play a role.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It depends on her height. My 6 yo weighs only about 35 lbs but she is very small for her age. If you feel she is overweight, instead of a "diet" you should encourage healthy eating habits and increased physical activity, but make sure it is fun for her. Things like sports or dance lessons or just get out and walk or bike ride with her as a family.
    Anonymous

• I think the word diet would put me off a bit. If he's just suggesting you don't buy as many treats, and keep more fruit and veggies in the house to snack on, that's great. If the doctor want't your kid on a tread mill or something? NO WAY! Go play hop scotch with her! It can't hurt to spend more time with her and keep more healthy snacks in the house.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It's a bit heavy. My six year olds weighed anywhere from 40 - 50 lbs. My current 6 yo is 42 lbs. Start changing her eating habits. Allowing junk food once a day, limit her sugar intake, snack healthy, get her out and about with physical activity! It is heavy.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 1:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It really depends. My 6 year old is 62 pounds and 4'1". He is about average for his height. He is definatley not overweight! Even at 62 pounds you can still see his ribs, but you can also see a lot of muscle. His pedi feels he is perfect, and so do I. He also falls in the 90 something percentile for height and weight.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2009