How much should I buy her myself?

I'm due July 22 with my little baby girl Ariana. My baby shower isn't until June 20th. We have all of our main furniture already (thanks to my fiance's parents) and I have a few outfits...But I'm wondering how much I should buy myself before the shower. I am inviting like 50 people so I'm sure I'll get a lot but I definitely don't want to wait until 1 month before she's due to get some of the little stuff... What do you think??

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 9:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i personaly would wait just so you wont buy something that someone brings you at the shower. but if you want to buy things buy like socks, or bibs, or passys(if youre going to use them) cause you lose those most often so you want to have a stock of them. or buy bigger things for her.thats what i did for my daughter. i bought bigger clothes to keep put up for her since everyone who came to the shower brought 0-3 months clothes.and congrats on the baby girl.my son is due july 23rd..lol. 1 day after you
    Anonymous

• hmmm. . . tough one. I would say to go ahead and buy all the decorations and accessories you want for her room, and all the clothes that you think are cute. Buy stuff like nail clippers, diaper rash cream, small diapers, lotions and stuff like that because you know you'll use them up eventually no matter how much you get. To tell you the truth, we thought we had gotten everything we needed for our son before he was born and then after we got him home we discovered about a million other things that we hadn't thought about and had to send dh on a babies r us run.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Oh, and buy some newborn sized clothing that buttons or snaps up the front. You always think that they will be big enough for 0-3 months right off the bat but, you'll be surprised how tiny she is when she is born. Our son weighed 8 lbs. 5 oz. and the 0-3 months stuff was still way too big for him for a couple of weeks.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Wait! You will probably get a lot of stuff!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If you have all of the main items (crib, changing table, rocking chair, car seat, etc) than I would wait.

I'm in the same boat right now. I've bought the travel system, the crib, the rocking chair, have the changing table and cradle and a few other items. I want to keep buying but I'm like telling myself JUST HOLD OFF, JUST HOLD OFF because if I get some of these items at my shower which is in 3 weeks than I can have a lot more money left over to buy the little last minute items that people usually don't bring to showers such as nursing pads, breastpump tubing, etc.

I KNOW it's hard. TRUST ME! But you'll feel better if you wait and have less doubles to return. Who wants to do all that in the last month of pregnancy??
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I just wanted to add that if any of your items have to be ordered and have a long shipping time (for example the mattress I was looking at ordering can take up to 6 weeks to be delivered) than go ahead and get it. It's better to return those items for something else than to wait, not get it and not have time to order it.

Also some things you might want to pick up yourself (because they don't usually get purchased for the baby shower) are:

*Rubbing Alcohol
    *Breastmilk stoarge bag
    *Nursing Pads
    *Diapers (you may get some at the shower but you can never have enough so pick up a pack every time you go grocery shopping and you'll have plenty before you know it)
    *Cotton Balls
    *Q-Tips
    *Petrollium Jelly
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• more small stuff to get would be gas drops, and infants tylonol...must haves that people just don't think to buy...
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I WOULD START TO BUY DIAPERS AND WIPES NOW . ALL SIZES. I BOUGHT BEFORE BOTH MY SONS WERE BORN AN DIT HELPED OUT SO MUCH,. GOOD LUCK.
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 1:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2009