Why do moms who give their kids names with weird spellings get upset when no one can spell them?

I mean,what the hell did they expect? If you spelled Abigail as Abbigale, obviously no one is going to get the spelling right the first time, maybe never. Or Taylor as Tahler, Victoria as Vikktoriah, etc. UGH.

What do YOU think? I believe we should all be able to give our kids whatever names we choose, but to screw with the spellings is just wrong. Those kids have to live with that the rest of their lives...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP I understand what you are saying. It isn't that you have a problem with the way the names are spelled, but rather with the parents becoming ANGRY when someone misspells them. Sorry folks, but you HAD to know that was going to happen. If most people spell "Jason" and you spell it "Jayson" its going to be misspelled, if you are going to have an issue with people misspelling, then you need to rethink the name, IMO.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 12:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Vikktoriah...that's harsh. LOL But to each his own...it's their child. Wow...Vikktoriah, poor child
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 9:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I DONT BELIEVE IN SCRAMBLING NAMES UP SO THAT THEY CANNOT BE SPELLED AS WELL.
    BUT MAYBE A MOM GETTING MAD IS JUST FRUSTRATION BECAUSE HER CHILDS NAME IS
    COMMONLY MESSED UP.
    DONT TAKE THINGS SO PERSONAL.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 9:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I agree. I don;t understand why they think its unique aswell. I don't consider a name to be unique if it is still pronounced the same way. I saw one women obsessed with Y's.

mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• There was a woman I once knew who CUSSED OUT her daughter's preschool teacher because she mistakenly spelled her daughter's name as "Victoria" instead of "Vikktoriah"!! Poor teacher!
    Anonymous

• and they can't pronounce them right either!!! Too true!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My kids name is spelt right.. still gets messed up. Aislinn
    Anonymous

• I think the OP is trying to start drama. lol whew ppl on here are mean.
    Anonymous

• <<
    Anonymous

• No drama...just asking a question. I do want to say I meant to use the word "unique", not "weird"...I tried to edit the question but I couldn't.
    Anonymous