does anyone know how i can get homeschool info

i am trying to help my sister in getting my nephew he is in eith grade into homeschool she does not have much money i heard that there is some free programs but i do not know what they are does anybody know please help

mjbw

Asked by mjbw at 9:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• There are a lot of great home school groups here on CafeMom, I'd suggest popping into one and you'll probably get more of response than here =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I would call either your school district or the department of education for your state. My sil had my niece in a public cyber school. It cost nothing. The curriculum, books and even a computer where provided. My niece had a teacher online that she could talk to.
    Anonymous

• I had to enroll my grandson at the School District's offices for homeschooling.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• The Homeschool Legal Defense Association web page has state by state info on it. I just pulled my 13 year old out bc he had inappropriate music that he brought home from school with him. I bought supplies through Abeka which is a Christian homeschool company. There are usually online schools available that are free and count as public schools as well if that is an option that would appeal to her.
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 12:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• You could try gavirtualacademy.com. It's a good program that a friend of mine uses. The only drawback is that they only go up to eight grade. They don't have the capacity for high school education yet, but they are working on it. Maybe that will change by the time he hits the high school level. Georgia Virtual Academy provides a computer, books, the whole curriculum, and it's all free. I believe my friend did say that her children just had to take a pre-test to see what level they were on (she did this online) before jumping directly into the home schooling. Hope this helps!!
    michel30014

Answer by michel30014 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2009