I think my dog has a stye in her eye.

Has anyone else went through this? It has been here for a while, but just recently got bigger. I thought it was just a birthmark, but it has gotten larger. What should I do? Is there anyway to try and treat it without taking her to the vet?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 9:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Pets

• try some stye meds...but call the vet first to see which is safe for pooch
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Is it red and puffy? And what breed? Some breeds are more prone to eye problems than others...I'd take her to the vet regardless; you don't want her going blind!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• She is a Schipperke. Well, it's a little red, but she is black and so is the skin around her eyes. It's not in her eye, but on her eyelid.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Sounds like cherry eye; it's a type of infection. Take her to the vet, they can give you something for her.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I've seen cherry eye several times on Animal Cops and it looks nothing like that. It's on the outside of her bottom eyelid and it is not red like that at all. It's pretty much black. It looks just a stye, in fact, my sister has a stye right now and they look identical.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009