How to potty train a 3 year old

i've been trying to potty train my son for months. He goes pee in the potty, he has a big thing about not wanting to go # 2 in the potty. I dont know what to do!

mommyof2_19

Asked by mommyof2_19 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• tell him booboo stinks and if he does it in pants aint noone gunna wanna be around em cause his butt stinks, stinky stuff goes in the toilet not in you clothes and if he does it tell him to get away from you he stinks go clean himself up
    medic_mom242

Answer by medic_mom242 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• thats old nuff 2 know better
    medic_mom242

• Hmm. How did I know before even looking at the above posters profile that she only had girls?
    OP- I'm having the same problem with my ds, he will be 3 next month. We had the same problem with my first ds at the same age. He held his poop until he had to be given stool softeners to go. Just keep working with him. It will click.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• you just have to encourage, not pressure him. my son was resistant to this as well. so, we came up with the prize box. get a shoe box, fill it with a bunch of stuff like bubbles, stickers, hot wheels, etc (cheap stuff) and start by letting him get a prize any time he pees in the potty. when he poops is him pants tell him that you really wish he would have gone in the potty so he could have another prize. do not punish him or yell at him for it. it will only stress him about it and could lead to stool holding. when he gets used to the prize box, tell him that since he knows how to pee in the potty now, he not going to get a prize for it anymore. he's such a pro at is that now he has to learn something new (like pooping in the potty *wink) to get a prize. it's working well for us. the key thing to remember is not to push him. on a side note, my younger son prefers privacy whereas my older did not.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009