Wich method of potty training is the most effective?

I have a 3 year old that uses the potty to pee, but will not poop on the potty instead she poops on the floor and tries to hide it. I have tried everything that i posibly can think of and I am just tired of cleaning up her messes if you know what i mean. I am desperate i need HELP PLEASE!!!!!

calibaby9205

Asked by calibaby9205 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I was a potty training teacher for three years at a preschool, and there all types of different things children do to try to hide their poop. Is she in underwear or pullups? Put her in underwear ALL the time. Take her potty frequently. Figure out her routine. Don't give up. Maybe try treats. 1 M&M for peepee and 2 M&Ms for poo poo. Or make a potty chart every time she poops give her a cool sticker or stamp. And if she goes a week w/o an accident take her somewhere special, or let her pick out a special treat. Remember it's about awarding the good, and discouraging the bad. Don't make a big deal if she poops on the floor. Just say that was not good. Let's try to go poop on the potty, and then have her sit on the potty(even if she says she's done) Then when she does poop on the potty, make it a big deal. Brag on her and let her know how proud of her you are. Good Luck!!!
    Anonymous

• this is something i would tell my kids only dogs( but if you prefer puppies) poop or pee on the floor.when pups do that you rub their noses in it so they don't do it again. bit you won't actually do that to her . its just to let her know its wrong. also tell her if she's going to do that she will need to help you clean up the mess. big girls use the toilet. when she accomplishes that you can make her a little party as in cookies or cake whatever she likes just the two of you as a reward. hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• I agree, put her in regular underwear! Obviously the pull-ups are not helping, maybe even hindering the process. Watch her for signs that she is about to go poop (standing with legs crossed) and run her quickly to the potty, or ask her occasionally if she has a typical time of day when she has a BM(sometimes after lunch or nap) Is she going on the floor next to the potty or in an entirely different room?
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 7:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If she's hiding it then she knows you disapprove and therefore must feel that she has a very important reason for continuing to do it. There are some kids who are so used to the way it feels to poop standing up or squatting that they have trouble pooping sitting down. Do you think this might be your dd's problem? If so, you might be able to slowly transition her to the potty by helping her poop in her preferred position over a small potty, or just the bowl if it is removable. Work with her to find a position that is comfortable for her and then *slowly* help her transition to sitting down by helping her get her bottom closer and closer to the rim. If she's resistant, you can start by letting her poop on newspaper and then letting her dump it in the potty. Sounds weird, I know, but it can work. Treats or rewards can help motivate some kids. And be sure to praise her each time she gets a bit closer to actually using the potty.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009