Where do liberal minded Christians go to church?

Is there such a thing anyway? Okay, I'm sure there is...so where do you go to church (or what denomination are you)? I've been going around different places, but I have yet to find a church that I can go back to. BTW, I'm not a Christian, just looking for meaning in life..... But I am tired of hearing the same sermon about how gays are the cause of all the worlds ills and I don't need anyone telling me who to vote for. Tell me what you do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Have you tried a Unitarian Universalist church?
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We found it with United Church of Christ. I did not want to take my kids to a church that taught homosexuality was a sin. The UCC is supportive of gay marriage. NO church should be telling you who to vote for!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Starbucks
    Anonymous

• Presbyterians are pretty liberal. Methodists too. I do hear good things about Unitarian's too. I am also looking for exactly what I believe and where I fit in religion. As it stands now, I consider myself Agnostic because I just don't seem to fit anywhere. I need to look into a Unitarian Universalist Church in my area and check it out.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Read the book "What a Man Thinketh" By James Allen. Then check out the Self Realization Fellowship (SRF) and order their lessons. It will give you meaning in life. Best of luck in your search.
    Anonymous

• Unity is VERY open minded and embraces everyone on whatever path they may be on. I love it. www.unity.org
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Some open minded churches:
    Unitarian Universalist www.uua.org
    Methodist unitedmethodist.org/
    Unity www.unity.org
    Episcopalian www.episcopalchurch.org/index.htm

And The Center for Progressive Christianity is a good website to find out more about liberal, progressive Christianity! www.tcpc.org
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Gramsmom, UU churches have many many members who are agnostic - either comfortably so, or waiting to find another path. I do encourage you to check it out if it appeals to you at all!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• A church that doesn't believe in the Bible? Because if you are going to a church that says being a homosexual is alright, they aren't reading the Bible.

I know Unitarians think very liberally.
    Anonymous

• I grew up in the United Methodist Church and I know it was very liberal. Also could have to do with the location too... Boulder, CO... very liberal.

Now, my husband, children, and I go (albeit occasionally) to a ELCA Lutheran church. It's liberal, although not as much as the UMC church I attended as a youth.

One thing to keep in mind, even churches with in a denomination will be different (liberal vs conservative).

Good luck!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2009