Breastfeeding & periods!

Im about 6 days late on my period, but I don't think i'm pregnant.
could it be because I breastfeed?

jenniek510

Asked by jenniek510 at 9:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Health

• very likely.....
    after having my son my period has been so out of wack! I am bf'ing still, he is a yr old and my period is sometimes a whole month late and sometimes like clock work, like i was b4 i had a baby.
    I dont believe in bc so im dealing w/ it. :)
    Anonymous

• Yea after i had her i didnt have one for 6 months and i just started getting one again in jan
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• if you havent noticed any ovulation (white egg like discharge) then i'd try taking a test but most likely it is due to your bf'ing.
    Anonymous

• I didn't have a period at all until about a month after I finished bf'ing my son when he was around 12 months. Bf'ing can mess with your periods, but that doesn't mean you can't get pregnant while b'fing. Take a test or keep an eye out for symptoms of pregnancy, it may be unlikely, but not impossible.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• If you started getting your period in Jan at 6 mos post partum then you are fertile and could very well be pregnant.
    I first got my period at 8 mos post partum with my first. I knew I was fertile at that point and we chose to not use protection. When I didn't get a period the next month I thought it was because my baby was breastfeeding so frequently (all night long!) but, I actually was pregnant.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yeah it could go either way. I breastfeed and my period is out of whack. Had my first one in February. Had another one 2 weeks later, skipped March, now I'm waiting on April. And I was always right on time before pregnancy. I know its nerve racking and I can't tell you how many tests I've bought in the last 2 months! Thank God for dollar tests at Dollar General.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Might want to get a doc's appointment. My mom got pregnant with me when she was breast feeding and thought the same thing. If you aren't, try Mirena if you can. You can breast feed and not have to worry about all this stuff.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 12:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2009