SHOULD I SAY SOMETHING TO MY MIL??

MY MOTHER IN LAW AND BROTHER IN LAW LIVE WITH US IN A TWO BEDROOM HOUSE..THEY DON'T WORK AND TELL ME I SHOULD BE GIVING MY BABY OTHER THINGS BESIDES BABY FOOD AND NURSE THEY GIVE HIM THINGS LIKE POP CAKE AND I TELL THEM NO MY HUSBAND GETS UPSET BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT ME TO SAY ANYTHING TO THEM ALSO I STAY AT HOME WITH MY SON THEY TELL ME I SHOULD LEAVE MY 5 MONTH OLD HOME AND WORK SO I CAN GET A BIGGER HOUSE FOR ALL OF US ME AND MY HUSBAND ARE HAVING ISSUES CAUSE MY FAMILY ISN'T ALLOWED TO VISIT THEY LIVE IN DETROIT HE SAYS STUFF TO MY FAMILY BUT I CAN'T SAY NOTHIN TO HIS?? AM I WRONG??HOW CAN I EXPLAIN THIS TO MY HUSBAND

angelsmommy1028

Asked by angelsmommy1028 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Why aren't they working? You are working, as a SAHM. I would not put up with it. The whole situation is negative and that will effect your baby--the tension, the fights, the poor examples. Hey, I'm from MI, not to far from Detroit? What is that about? Tons of great people are from the D! You need to talk to your husband, and clearly state what you expect from him. Why are these people living with you anyway? I think if he won't stop it now, he probably won't ever so you need to figure out if you can live with this situation and make it a positive or if you need to consider your alternatives. Not seeing your family and isolating you is emotionally abusive, so watch out for your needs too.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would have already kicked their asses out! tell them to go get jobs so they can MOVE OUT instead of you working for them to live with you
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 9:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• you need to tell them to get out first off!
    how the heck are all of you living in a 2 bedroom house??
    and why isn't your family aloud to visit?tell them to get the heck out of there they don't need to be there and tell your husband to cut the damn cord!you guys been to be on your own..
    as for you getting a job...I mean wait until the baby is a year old there is no rush, but if you guys want to make more money and get his family out..i WOULD think about getting a job!
    but u need to stand up to them u are doing nothing wrong sweetie!good luck and keep us updated
    Anonymous

• YOU SOUND LIKE U MARRIED INTO A FAMILY WITH A BUNCH OF FRICKING LOSERS..
    THATS YOUR FAULT..ARE YOU FROM THE SOUTH?
    Anonymous

• ditto, hun. I watched my brother's marriage fall apart because my sister-in-laws brothers moved in with them soon after they were married (to be fair, my other brother lived with them for a short time after they were married as well, but he moved out, and they moved in) and they never had any time just to themselves. I don't want that to happen to you. You NEED to talk to your husband about how you feel, and consider talking to a marriage councilor.

Your baby is YOUR baby, no one can tell you how to raise him, and if you're concerned about what others are feeding him, don't let them feed him. Take a stand for yourself, and your son's sake.

Good luck, hun. Hope it all works out.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Wow. You are in a rough situation. Yes, he should be the one to tell them that if they are going to live there that they must pay rent (unless they are disabled) and should do their share of the household chores. They should not be giving your child food that you don't approve of. You and your husband should get counseling now. It sounds as though he is not hearing what you are saying. I don't like saying this, but you should be getting job training and looking for a job. Also make sure you have a bank account in your own name with as much money in it as you can get. Get counseling first thing, but get yourself in a position so that you can get out of this situation if necessary.

Answer by Bmat at 10:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• well it sounds like to me they are using you and your husband, you should just tell them to go out and get a job or you are going to have to charge them rent and utility useages... As for your husband just tell him that you dont feel comfortable with them telling you how to raise your child and that should be between the parents not in laws!!! I dont know it doesnt sound like you dont want them their just express how you feel to them and your husband when you are all together and maybe your can work something out i hope... i hoped i gave you some advice that can work!!!
    calibaby9205

Answer by calibaby9205 at 10:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Anon in all caps...shut up. Angelsmommy needs encouragement, not criticism. You don't help the situation by being rude.

BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• thank them for their suggestions and tell them it's not in your plans right now but if they would like to contribute to the household and help get a larger house then you'd certainly be glad to accept the help. Then smile and walk away.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• well i feel for you i kicked my husbands freind/brother out and im still pregnant. thats what you should have done to begin with but now. i would diffenantly kick thier buts out they deserve it they are more capable than you right now to go work as for feeding the child stuff id kick her ass and deal with my husband later hell it might just make her so mad she well move out on her own lol good luck
    Anonymous