Do you let your children play with toy guns?

IMO children should not be playing with toy guns. Guns are a very powerful, serious, and dangerous thing. I really hate to see kids playing with guns. My 3 year old cousin has toy guns and I hate it when he comes up to "shoot" me or my baby. I really dont think guns should be looked at as fun and games. I know I am going to teach my son that guns are a dangerous weapon and not something to play with.
Whats your stance on toy guns?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, I don't.
    Anonymous

• My friend has five boys and she had this huge stance on not allowing them to have toy guns but those boys would use anything as a gun, anything they got their hands on they somehow turned it into a gun.lol So I think this one is a lost battle.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 10:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yes and he has his badge and belt also. My little police officer...just like his aunt and his mother is going to be..; D
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• my daughter does not have any toy guns however she turns her golf clubs, or her princess wand into a toy gun if she wants to play a cops and robbers game or anything like that. i think they will find a way to play what they want no matter what toys they have. as long as they understand it is just pretend than i don't see a problem with it. she will actually be gettting water guns for easter in her basket so.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• no i dont let my boy play with guns
    evelyn334

Answer by evelyn334 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yes, my boys play with toy guns but they are not allowed to aim them at people. If they do the guns are taken away. They are taught respect for the guns in the beginning. The main reason for guns in our family is for hunting. When used properly and when taught how to use them properly then they know how to handle them.
    Anonymous

• I have DD4 and DS2, no guns in the house, toy or otherwise. I don't even think they've seen one on tv yet...no one pretends anything is a gun or anything like that yet. I won't even buy a water pistol! I think someone should invent a water squirter that is not shaped like a gun, I'll buy it!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• We did not allow toy guns, but just as the posters above have commented, our sons turned whatever they had into guns- tinker toys, cars, transformers, they came up with their own guns. I still would not get them guns, though.

Answer by Bmat at 10:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• No and we have this battle everytime my MIL buys him something. She refuses to respect that I forbid guns in our house as 'toys' He is 2 tomorrow and still doesnt make guns out of other toys but then again he's never touched one or watched any tv with any guns. When he gets old enough to know that guns are not a toy and they are not to be pointed at people then it will be a different story but as for now I think he is to young. And no I'm not an anti gun person in fact when he gets old enough to go hunting with daddy and my brother he will have and use guns but in a proper way and will spend a lot of time in a shooting range first. Just like me and my brother did. We both know how to shoot but we also learned in a responsible way not by 'shooting' everything and everyone in sight with play toys.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• honestly i think they are fine. as long as you dont let your child run around pretending to shoot people or pets or stuff like that. my little brother has toy guns and plays with them outside pretending to shoot at targets. every one in my family owns a gun. for hunting purposes mostly. we keep them locked up but we also teach our kids how to use them and show them what they do and that they have to respect them.
    Anonymous