How do you deal with allowance for a 7 year old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I give my daughter 10 dollars a week. If she maintains good grades in school and brings home a good report card Ill give her extra. She has to keep her room and bathroom clean. She also has certain nights where she has to wash the dishes. The most important thing is to teach her about the responsibilities of handling money.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• wow. 10 dollars a week!!! that is insane! thats 520 a year! if your daughter saved that much for 11 years that would be almost 6000!!! Just think about the college fund that would create!

i never got an allowance and i dont plan on giving one to my kids. i may set up a reward system where they get to do something fun of their choice or something if they do their chores, but i haven't figure out what i want to do just yet.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I thought 10 dollars a week wasn't nothing, shoot, how my baby loves to stay in the store. I wish she would save that money...lol
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My 6 yr old and my almost 5 yr old have been getting an allowance for just iver a year now. they get 3 bucks a week. they share the chore of keeping toys picked up and making sure tehir dirty clothes make it to the hamper. the ^ yr old since she is older also has to make her bed and she put the dry dishes away with some assistance with breakables and she puts a new bag in the trash can when the trash is taken out. the lil one is learning how to make her bed so if she attempts to make it she gets her points for the week. They saved up tehir allowances last year and when we went to Disney they paid for themselves to get tehir hair and make up done in the castle at bibbity boppity boutique. They are now again saving up for our next trip in October. We did not force them to pay for it on their own it was what they wanted to do. I am very proud of them for their saving. my 6 yr old even saved up extra when we got back CONTINUED
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• CONTINUED... and she bought gifts for kids in the local shelter for christmas and she delivered them herself ( ok well i went with her) to the lil kids. this was all her idea and after much discusion of are you sure this is what you want to do we decided to match what ever she saved so she could get more. that still stands for this year as she said she wants to do it again and she has talked her sister into it as well.
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• when i was a kid there was a chart on the wall, each chore had a certain amount of money you could get. from doing the dishes, folding laundry, taking out the trash, bringing in the mail (there were 5 of us i think my parents tried to make up chores that was only a nickel), cleaning the bathroom, vacuming etc...we each had a certain color marker when we did a chore our parents made sure we did it correctly then would mark next to the chore for us. at the end of the week they tallied it up for us and then we would go to the bank, at least half of whatever we made had to go into our savings account, the rest we could do what we choose to do with
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My kids don't get allowance. In our house it is everyone's job to take care of the house. Each chore does have a point (or 2) attached to it and they save up the points to "trade in" for extra computer privileges and to buy back toys that were taken away from them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son is 7 1/2 and he gets an allowance of $5 a week. He has two rooms to clean and his bathroom, plus chores that have to be done 5 days a week. He has to bring out and sort his laundry, feed and water the cats, do his homework (of course) and do anything else me or my boyfriend come up with. Usually that means putting away silverware or taking out the trash. If everything doesn't get done, he doesn't get money at all. One of the perks for me (besides all the help) is that he buys his own stuff. I don't buy him toys at all anymore, if he wants something more expensive he saves.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 12:29 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I grew up with a commision system. One load of dishes= .25c . Fold and put away one load of laundry = .25c. I think that things like keeping your room tidy, and belongings put away, they shouldn't get paid for. But scrubbing the toilet, and other things a bit out of the ordinary, it can be a nice motivator to have a reward system.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 12:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't. I pay chore by chore. Make a list of things they can do around the house and the money you'll pay. It's a good way to teach kids about money.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 5:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2009