Things we buy our kids...

Do you think that because you grew up poor and didn't have the nicer things, that you MUST give your child better? Do you buy for your child out of guilt? Just wondering...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• DH just did this today. tomorrow is our sons sencond bday (im waiting for cakes to cool so I can decorate it.... lalala) and DH spoils the crap out of him. I actually got into it with him today because our son is very well behaved with me whenever we go out but he knows with his daddy all he has to do is whine and stomp his feet and he gets it. (it's embarrassing to me to have him act this way in public and DH to respond that way) I told him he is setting our son up to expect that it's his right to have something and if we dont jump and get it that all he has to do is throw a fit. DH was raised in a family that didnt have money and I do believe he does this to so our son doesnt feel 'ashamed' that we can't afford it (although sometimes we really cant) I on the other hand was raised to earn what you get. We didnt get things 'just because' and I'm thankful for that upbringing. Our son knows he doesnt act that way with me.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I just really enjoy buying my daughter things. I grew up spoiled but I always appreciated what I had and I want to raise my daughter the same way. I only have one chance at raising her.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 10:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i know i do it. i try not to but i do, i buy my daughter more toys when my DH is deployed. and the stuff i get her is much nicer than what i had as a child. but my DH and i have an agreement as long as we can afford it and as long as she doesn't act like a spoiled brat and think she deserves whatever she wants then we will buy stuff for her. she starts screaming in stores and that kinda crap shes done
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• absolutely not. no i didnt have alot growing up, but that doesnt mean im going to go out and buy all kinds of crap for my son. thats how they become spoiled and unappreciative. i know a few like that and i definitely dont want my son to be that way. ofcourse i want to buy him things and i will, for birthdays, christmas, easter, and when he earns them. and occasionally just because i feel like surprising him with something new, but not all the time.
    Anonymous

• I think as long as the parent can afford to purchase the items for their child there is nothing wrong with it. There is nothing wrong with wanting your child to have the best, as long as the child appreciates what they have. I know I spend alot of money on my son, but I fine with it as long as he does well in school.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I grew up spoiled, but I also appreciated everything. We are financially stable and can afford to spoil our kids, so we...or I should say I do. They appreciate everything they have and they take care of their stuff and they don't act like bratty spoiled children.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 10:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Kids like toys....for a min or so. Maybe a week tops. Then the new wears off and they are just junk again.

Invest that money in their future. Go into your kids room, loosley add up what his toys cost and imagine having that much money in a college fund for your kid. Thats what you should be doing.

I understand you want your kid to have toys but be smart about it. Go to thrift stores, use Freecycle.org. Use craigslist. Don't waste money better spent elsewhere.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Actually I donate my son's clothes to the school when he outgrows them, and at his age it doesn't take long for him to do that. We have even donated x-Boxes,Rock Bands and other games to the school for the kids lounge. My son knows how to help others that have less, that is a lesson I taught him since he was old enough to understand. :)
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I did not grow up poor, we can afford to buy nice things for our girls so we do. When they grown out of it or do not play with it anymore we donate to the less fortunate.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I don't want my kid to be spoiled. I was poor as a child and we are on the poor side now. He will have to learn to work hard for special things and appreciate what we are able to give him. It will make him more appreciative of things when he gets older.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2009