Daycare Question??

Do you get really upset when you pick your child up from Daycare with a red bottom from pooping? Or do you understand that your provider has more than one child? Just wondering because I have picked my child up twice this month with diaper rash, and I don't know if I should actually be upset...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not really. Diaper rashes happen. I am a parent and former daycare provider and according to Wisconsin law, diapers have to be changed every 2 hours and we were the ones that caught diaper rashes more than the parents. If the child was napping, we didn't wake them up to change them (i also didn't wake my son up either). Diaper rash happens and unless a provider is just not changing the diapers, then there really isn't much that can be done. Bring ointment to the center, sign the appropriate forms and have the providers put the ointment on at each diaper change. My son had diaper rash all the time, no matter how many times he was changed or how much ointment I put on him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would be upset but try to be understanding at the same time. I would just mention it kind of in passing to the provider. Like a hey, suzy has had diaper rash twice this month, can you keep an eye out on that for me? It really bothers her when she has a rash. And hopefully your provider will get your hint
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• It would depend I guess. I know that my daughter my gets diaper rash sometimes even if I change her every 2 hours (which is what a daycare is suppose to do) and apply diaper cream each time. She doesn't go to daycare. I have worked at a daycare before and kids will get diaper rash sometimes and it not be anyone's fault. Are the teachers informing you of the rash and applying cream or powder (whatever you use?)?

I would just make sure you aren't assuming that they aren't chaning him. They should have to keep a log of everytime your child eats, sleeps, and has bowel movement or urinates (thus everytime they change their diaper) - at least through age 2 - unless this is an in-home daycare and I think the rules are different. Check the log or ask to see it. if you have questions about your childs care be sure to ask. They may be able to give you more information.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Thanks aly! My daycare provider is a lovely lady, she does keep a log (well a paper that she sends home everyday) it is a home daycare, which I love how the children feel right at home. She changes my child 5 times in a 10 hour period, so I guess that is about right. I know that she puts the cream on...I don't know maybe it is because this is my first child, and I'm not really experienced as a mother yet... Just wanted to make sure that she is taking the best care of my little man. :)
    Anonymous

• it is hard. this is my first LO as well (I am a step mom too, but the youngest was 3 when I became involved). I am just lucky to be home with her to see how everything works with her. I would probably freak out if I saw my daughter's bottom the way it looks now if she was going to daycare. I just got her special cream because it turned out not to just be a diaper rash. Everything is a learning experience - and i think it will be that way for every baby just because they are all different. Have fun with your little one! And its great to double check things. I call my doctor over everything! lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Daycare is evil
    Anonymous

• No, unless it going on way too often. Rashes happen.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• hell yes i would be pissed but then again these poeple arnt mothers and dont always know what to do i would complain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• buy some diaper rash cream and bring it with you when you drop your child off. ask them if they'll put it on when changing the diaper and that way they're aware of the problem and will hopefully pay more attention to it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• to the anons

just because someone in daycare is not a mom doesnt mean they do not know what to do take care of children. you are responsible for checking out a daycare before you trust your child w/those people. there are plenty of daycares who follow the stat guidelines & mploy very caring & capable people. as someone who has worked in a daycare(before i was a mother), yes i didn;t know the complete procedures when I started but putting diaper cream on a child was not the part i didn't know. there should always be a lead care taker in the room who DOES know all the ins and outs of the daily routine.

you HAVE to provide diaper cream or powder when you sign your child up - just like the diapers. if you expect them to put something on your child you have to provide it. they cant just use someone else's cream in case your child is allergic or you have a specific brand.

not all daycare is evil.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2009