Should I tell my son the truth about the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, etc?

He's nine. Most of the kids in his class have already figured it out, and some of them have started to tease him about still believing. I think he truly has doubts, but still wants to hold on to the fantasy. He has a younger sibling, so that makes it a bit more difficult as well. Should I tell him the truth? If so, how can I do it without totally devastating him?

Philyra

Asked by Philyra at 10:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No don't tell him. Like someone else said let him hold on to his innocense longer. He will eventually figure it out the older he gets. I think it is good for kids to have something good to believe in. I also think it will be easier for him to portray the magic of Holiday icons on to his children when he is older. Just tell him that it is alright to believe in what he wants to.
    Maybe the other school children are jealous because they don't have great parents to help them hold on to the magic to. My son is 13 and I stil haven't told him. I to am sure that he knows because he always says I know who it is. He also has a 6year old brother and a 4 year old sister so even if he does not believe anymore he does an excelent job of keeping the magic going in the house.
    honeyhanvey

Answer by honeyhanvey at 9:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Let him hold onto that innocence honey just a little while longer. Who cares what those kids thinks you do what is right as a mother.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• just tell him that as long as he wants to believe that he should enjoy it, but tell him not to make a big deal about it at school since they don't believe they exist anymore.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i have a 11 year old... I havent told him. I think he does know but has a 5 year old sister. So he doesnt mention it. Kids are so mean these days.... teasing about that is so silly!!!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• What truth about the easter bunny and santa? the other kids figured what out? LOL i say just let him believe for how ever long he wants to and if he comes to you again questioning them then sit down and explain to him that these ficticious characters are all part of childhood. we all had to find out and even though at that time our worlds came crashing down we made out ok and one day he can relive that feeling when he has kids of his own :D
    Disneymom1218

Answer by Disneymom1218 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I'd tell him the truth at this point and make him part of the "adult conspiracy" - let him help pack his sibling's basket. But don't let him pack his own, keep it as a surprise for him if he's still getting one.
    At Christmas, set a budget and have him pick a Salvation Army Angel to help - let him be Santa for someone else, make him part of the magic.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• My son is 3yo and i've already told him the truth about all that. I'm teaching him the truth. ...I'm going to teach him about the history of these socail traditions. And the view points of many different religions. We still celebrate the social holidays. But it will always be more about the truth, history and spirit behind the story. Understanding why its celebrated.
    But whatever you do, dont lie to him. If he asks you, tell the truth. And dont lead him on either. "Are you ready for the Easter bunny?" ...dont ask those questions, or if you do make sure they are directed to your younger child.
    I was the 3rd of 4 children. And somehoe my older siblings managed to keep santa around for me until i was about 8 or 9. ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I still have not told my 12 yr olds, I know they know the truth. my9 yr old im not sure if he still TRULY believes or if he is just "believing for momma" keep them little for as long as possible..
    RJSMOMMA

Answer by RJSMOMMA at 9:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yes, tell him the truth. Lying to your child is not the best thing to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Your child is only using his imagination if he knows these things don't exist. With you guys all pretending they're real, he thinks it's truth.

My kids know the truth and don't believe in any of those things...but they are allowed to use their imaginations to pretend whatever they want! They're 3, 5, and 6.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2009