• In the Spotlight:

I just dont get it would you be upset too?

I love my husband very much but he has done something to aggrivate the hell out of me.... Last weekend I was remodeling the guest bathroom and saturday and sunday when I went to the stores to get the stuff he made sure he told me he didnt have any money which was fine I paid about 400.00 all together. Thank God its a small bathroom anyways.... I got it done and he did a lot of work that I couldnt like the flooring and walls BUT... heres my problem saturday and sunday he had no money to help me but come Tuesday someone is selling a fish aquarium for 60.00 and he runs to the bank for the money we have a bigger one than this one and no room for another one and I asked why he got it and he says its cheep. Im like how did you have money for that but you couldnt help me with the bathroom and he got all mad and puffy. I just dont understand it because im always giving him money and he cant do the same for me. would it upset you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Relationships

• Yes I would! He seems to be very selfish with money.... I suggest you stop giving him money so he can see what its like without it.... When your married money doesn't just becomes one or the others.... Its both of yours and should be shared equally!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• hell yes my huband does the same thing i swear pack rats they never have money but when something is cheap they suddenly do lol good luck with your husband im still trying to get mine to understand
    SarahRandall

Answer by SarahRandall at 11:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Maybe he just didn't want to spend his money on the bathroom
    Anonymous

• I don't understand why the money is "your" money and "his" money. Why isn't it "we" money? In my house all the money goes into the pot, whoever has the money pays bills, etc....
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I keep a different checking account because of the fact that my ex was suposed to pay for a couple things that had my name on it too and if they ever decide to garnish my wages they could go for my checking account too and that should not be my hubbys problem besides that when we got married we had different banks and didnt want to change and we also split our bills it just works better for us.
    Anonymous

• "it just works better for us. "

If you're having this problem, then it's *not* working for you.

You are correct to be upset, but you're going to need to find a better solution. You might check with an attorney or a debt management agency about what your rights and responsibilities are regarding these debts.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• He did not have any money for a project that seemed unimportant to him.....just as you would not have any money for a fish tank if you had known about it before hand.
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 12:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would be upset.

In my house, the bathroom money would have been an "us" expense. The majority of both of our paychecks go into our mutual account and we each keep a certain amount out and budget it as our personal spending for the month. If our needs have been met and dh feels like throwing his own cash away on something (in my case, it would have been a "steal" on truck parts or something LOL) then fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'm kinda on the fence... I'm a female but the whole "prettying up the room" thing wouldn't be worth my money... if that's what you did. If the flooring was fine but you just wanted something different, as well as new curtains, etc... but he should've just said that's what it was if that's what it was.
    To go buy the fish tank was like a slap in the face, or it would've been to me.
    Maybe you should have a joint account (we have a savings account in our childs name) and when we have household things we have to do, with luck the money is in there. You could both donate from each paycheck or save change and throw in there for things like that. But it's your money, you made the choice to do the bathroom (I wouldn't have used my money to do it, I'd have insisted it be OUR money that was used since it's his house too if we both agreed on the work/change).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2009