Am i the only one who teaches my child/ren ...

the truth about the holidays from the very beginning? We still talk about the characters, but i explain they are part of a story. And as he gets older i will teach him more about the different religions and the different traditions. And how the meaning behind the holidays are so important.
We do still celebrate everything in a secular way as well as celebrating our own religious holidays.
My son is 3yo and we plan on raising our children this way. ...anyone else?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 11:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope, we treated those characters just like we did any other - neither convincing our kids they're real nor discouraging their own belief. Kids find magic in everything, whether or not we insist that certain things are true or not. I think observing and appreciating their natural wonder and what they get from it is amazing and rewarding, and I can't imagine needing to get them to buy into mythical fictions for my own idea of "This is how it should be!" They are full of wonder when they hear the story of Santa, and I don't need to tell lies or play make-believe myself in order to augment that. I'm not opposed to parents choosing to go along with the traditional childhood fabrications... but to say that it takes the magic out of things belittles our choice to NOT do that, and it also shows a lack of understanding of the inherently magical nature of childhood.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 11:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• no it takes the magic out of things.
    Anonymous

• We are strict. For example for Christmas we don't do a tree, only gifts for our son. No Halloween, no dressing up. We are pretty religious, so we celebrate holidays in our religious way, not too secular. My mom still does a tree and wants to spoil her grandson, since it's her house for Christmas we can't tell her what to do. But in our house, no tree. He knows the religious meaning of the holidays we choose to celebrate.
    Anonymous

• Heck no you arent the only one. Anyone who only teaches the secular/magic of Holidays isn't teaching them the whole truth. Even if you don't believe in the religion it comes from, they should know the historical truth behind it. But ESPECIALLY if you believe...then it should be ultimate priority.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• i think it's more important to teach my children about the magic of real life. They will know at a young age that the spirit of Santa is within them. ect ect. Is that not magic?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• I remember when my son stopped believing in Santa, I cried. He was about 10 and the reason he believed for so long was one weekend we were camping and the man that plays Santa at Holiday world was camping right next to us, he really looks like Santa! Anyway, Santa talked to my son and it was so amazing to see him so excited to see Santa out camping.
    When they stop believing they loose the innocence that is part of childhood
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 11:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Innocence doesn't come from beleving in lies but from within. I'm the with the OP. We are deligent that he not beilive what the world believes but what the Bible teaches.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• that's pretty much how we plan to do things! we celebrate christmas, but to us it is a fun holiday about family and friends. We don't consider it to be Christ's birthday and won't celebrate it as such. We will tell our son that story of Santa Claus, but that it is just a story, and we'll tell him that some people use Christmas as a day to celebrate the birth of Christ, and we'll also tell him that others celebrate Christmas just because...We don't do anything special for Easter, other than what we do every Sunday at church which is remember Christ's death and resurrection.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Our 4 yo knows that Santa is a character based on St. Nicholas, and that he shared with people because God was generous in sharing His Son with us. We do the tree and the presents, but she knows that Christmas is about Jesus. We've had strangers ask our daughter if Santa is bringing her gifts, then we explain that she doesn't believe in Santa. They say, "how can she not believe in Santa?" We tell them, "she believes in Jesus". Some get downright hostile! Last time I checked, we still have freedom of religion in this country. DD still enjoys the Rudolph movie, though.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• no, we do the easter bunny, santa, tooth fairy (when we get there), and all that stuff. i really have never heard of anyone doing it your way, i think every family has a different way of celebrating the holidays and its great that you guys do it your own way
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2009