What are some privleges I should be allowing my 12 1/2 year old son to start doing?

Reg1968

Asked by Reg1968 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Going to Movies, Dinner with friends, school ball games, dances, if he is a responsible son then you need to give him a chance to do all the things kids that age want to do. Maybe even go on a date with a girl, if he hasn't already.
    Anonymous

• I felt good about you answer until the dating thing. Don't you think that's a little young?
    Reg1968

Answer by Reg1968 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Well I'm not talking about dating, dating...Just take him and a girl out to dinner with you and your family, have a girl over to watch a movie with the family in the livingroom. I don't think 12 1/2 is too young for that. And it is a good chance to teach your son how to properly treat and conversate with the opposite sex.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I think that 12 is too young to start dating of any sort. The closest that my 13 year old would be able to get to dating is going to a school dance and that would be based on behavior, so right now that wouldn't be an option for mine. I suggest that you start slow and work up to what you are comfortable with. It should be based on his behavior, maturity level, and what kinds of trouble is peers are getting into. Keep him supervised! I've always been a big fan of supervision. lol When one of mine starts to get off track, I know it quickly so it doesn't get out of hand. Ball games are a great option. Go, but let him sit with friends instead of you and watch from afar. Going to friends houses and to outtings with them, as long as you know the parents well.
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It really depends on what he wants to do. I'd wait for him to ask, and then establish your rules/expectations.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I agree ask what sort of things he feels he is ready to have the privilege to do. Having him put it in witting may help also. Talk it through and compromise where needed. Be careful that you stay in control and not allow him to push for more than you are willing to give. As for dating...Way to young for unsupervised dates. A chaperoned date to the movies or dinner may be okay at 12 1/2 but i would not let it go any further than that. If you do decide to allow very supervised dates then I would also make sure that he has a well detailed talk about the responsibilities of sex and dating. It is definitely not to young for that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• *It is definitely not to soon for that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It depends on his maturity and how much you trust him. NO dating, no one on ones with girls. He can go to movies with groups of friends or with close guy friends, go to the mall, school sporting events, socials/dances. He could go to friends houses and hangout, ride bikes with his friends, go to the park. I would make sure he had a cell phone to call you if he needs to when he is out without you. My 12 1/2 yr old has a cell phone and has used it to ask to stay longer with friends or for me to pick him up.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2009