TOYS

Would you let your 2 yr old play with toy guns?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my dd gets old enough my dh is going to take her hunting and teach her things like never even pretend to point a real gun or pretend gun at anyone for any reason. I think it is good to teach them about the safety of a gun and how powerful it can be.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:42 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• no, used to be acceptable, but I don't like to see a child with a gun period. Especially with all the news you hear about kids killing kids.
    Anonymous

• IDK i was looking at the squirt guns i think those would be acceptable...I think i would let mine although i don't see me ever buying it for them...
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Yes. A friend has a toy "blaster" and my daughter loves it. There have been many, many studies over the decades that clearly show that toy guns do NOT increase a child's violence. There have even been studies that show that doing everything you can to prevent any "violent" play actually increases a child's violence in real life - makes him more likely to hit and kick playmates for example.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2009

• Thanks for that info Kaycee14:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I guess we're not really there yet, but I'm not down with toys guns...
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have two stepboys who're 6 and 4 and a baby boy. I used to think that toy guns were horrible and that one should actively try to teach pacifism to children. I also make my own granola, k?

Now I know that even if you don't give kids toy guns, they will pretend that your wooden spoons are guns. They will pretend their little plastic gardening toys are guns and if it's all they have, they will pretend that their fingers are guns.

That being said, I make sure that they only have toy guns (even squirt guns) that are as unrealistic looking as possible.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• No, I am too paraniod that he would start to think of all guns as toys and then God forbid he find a real one. Just that thought makes me freak.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 1:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• yes. my husband is a hunter as well as my dad. they plan on teaching my sons how to properly handle a gun when he is the appropriate age. until then we have the guns hanging locked above our bed. and we've had a talk with our oldest son about how they are daddy's and he cant touch them. they are very dangerous...and he understands, i think as long as people are taught the proper method to handle guns it s fine. i tell my son he cannot pretend to shoot people or play dead. thats not nice.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Sure. I always played with them growing up. I'ts no big deal. It's actually a good time to teach your kids some gun safety. My dd will have a real gun when she's old enough and will be taught to respect it and treat it approrpriately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2009