I'm really worried about this... help!

I think I might be leaking amniotic fluid... but I don't want to go to the hospital for nothing since it's a 45 mile drive to the closest one.
Everytime I go to the bathroom my underwear are completely soaked through. It doesn't look or smell like pee. I don't feel like I'm peeing... but I have a super bad cough, so it could just be that I pee when I cough and don't notice it.
I don't know what amniotic fluid looks or smells like... does anyone else know what this could be?

emmetsmom09

Asked by emmetsmom09 at 12:28 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it may just be lots of discharge. how far along are you? if you're early in pregnancy, and you're leaking fluid slowly, its possible that theres a tear in your bag of waters, but it can fix itself. even if your water is leaking, and you're term, its nothing to be concerned about. put a pad in your panties, i'm pretty sure amniotic fluid is supposed to be somewhat sweet-smelling (although i don't know for sure) and of course, its not yellow like urine
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• r u sure its not discharge? if it feels like you ARE peeing but your not actually peeing...call...

id say call..tell them whats going on, and tell them its a long drive for you and you dont want to just go if its a false alarm...

i JUST called the doctor about me going into labor right now..and they told me to just wait most of it out while im home..lol..and i live 30 secodns from the hospital
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 12:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I'm almost 34 weeks.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would call your doctor and tell them EXACTLY what it feels like, or maybe even call L&D and do the same. They might tell you to go in, but if its false alarm then so what? At least you'll know your baby and you are okay and you arent risking anything. What if something is wrong? You gotta be safe rather than sorry. Good luck and I hope everything's okay!!!!!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I thought I was peeing my pants when my water broke. Which I thought was odd because I really didn't feel like I had to go. So it leaked for a couple of hours and I FINALLY called labor and delivery. I was 3 weeks early and they had me come in to just check it out. Turns out, it was indeed my water and I had a baby 6 hours later. It's better to be safe then sorry. I know I was in denial, and if it weren't for my husband, I would have had a MISERABLE trip to the hospital.
    tinkle84

Answer by tinkle84 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I am having that issue now.. I'm 32 weeks too..
    It's sorta the same as yours, not like I'm peeing but like.. stuff comming out..
    And right in my uterus is getting hard like my baby is dropping sorta.. =/
    Good thing I go to the doctors Tuesday. :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My midwife said that if i think my water is leaking I can genly push on my abdomen and put my hand down there to see if anything comes out. If it does then it is most likely your water and i would call the dr. to see what they say if not then is probably isn't. Good luck.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 2:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i have had the same thing it was a watery discharge for me . i went to L&D twice and its an hour to our hospital that we go to lol .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2009