My daughter is 16 months old and is allergic to eggs. She also happens to be a very picky eater. She is a little underweight and it seems like she never eats!!! I've tried everything it seems and all I can get is her drinking a lot of milk and pedisure and eating crackers. I'll take the milk away and she still won't eat. I'm slowly going insane. Any suggestions or other moms with something similar would help me.

dawn_misayo

Asked by dawn_misayo at 12:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For proteins give her mashed beans of any kind......

Feed her oatmeal for fiber and add things like soy nut butter to it...

You're just going to have to get inventive.
    If you need help with this, let me know. I have a background in nutrition.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 9:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Writing down what she eats for a week you may see that she is actually eating more than you think.
    Also when my son was little he was a picky eater he went through stages where he would eat only one food for all three meals and snacks and his pediatrician just kept reasuring me kids won't starve themselves. He is now a teen who eats anything that won,'t eat him first LOL!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would offer a plate of crackers with peanut butter or cheese as well as fruit. It may help if she gets to make them too. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have had a food diary for 3 months now and it's like she just doesn't want the same stuff anymore but she doesn't want to try anything new. And as for peanut butter, I was told since she already has one food allergy, it's best to avoid other high risk foods such as peanuts and peanut products.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 1:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Let her eat what she wants if its in moderation and somewhat healthy and also offer different foods with the one she likes maybe she'll start liking new things good luck!
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 2:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Good point on the allergy stuff. Is your doctor concerned about her weight? Does he feel like she needs to gain more? Regardless of if she is underweight or not, does she gain weight at all? Ours went thru a phase (more than once) of not wanting the same stuff he liked, but not wanting anything new. He did mostly drink milk and I was concerned. He tends to do that when he's teething, he wants the comfort of the bottle, (never took a paci) and was sensitive to new tastes or textures. After a couple of weeks though it would pass, until the next time he was teething. If the doctor isn't concerned, then maybe relax and she'll come around. One trick I did was to go back to a Gerber Graduates Mac & Cheese w/veggies that he liked really well. He doesn't normally eat that since he's on table food, but I could more often get him to eat that. It's so hard not to worry, isn't it?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yeah her NP was worried about her weight. She said that she's dropping in percentile. I think the last time she was 10%. The time before that she was 15% and the time before that she was 20% so it's a slow decline but she is still gaining weight. Basically all pasta products are a no no since they are made with eggs or have been made in a factory that makes egg noodles. I have to check every single label before I give her anything. When I do actually find something that doesn't have egg products in it, she doesn't want it (of course) so I'm so frustrated by it.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 4:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2009