Donated Breastmilk

would anyone be concerned about diseases in donated breastmilk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i might, but i would do a bit of a background search on the donor. i think that donated breastmilk, if you can get it, is a much better choice than formula. i donated my extra milk to someone here on cafemom :)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Not if I got it from a milk bank. They have pretty strict guidelines and procedures to follow when accepting donated breastmilk. I'm pretty sure that they also have some type of sterilization process.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 1:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• JMmama...the only thing with the milkbank is that they send it through pasteurization which kills 80% of the good stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It doesnt kill 80% of the good stuff. It does get rid of a few things you'd want your baby to take in but it gets rid of all of the bad stuff. I wouldnt be worried if it came from a milk bank, as JMmama said, they have strict guidelines. They take blood and urine samples i believe and test the milk for bacteria. Its also not just a single donors milk that you will be recieving, its many donors milk poured and mixed into one container for sterilization and gets re-tested then distributed after that.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 2:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• yes pasteurization kills some of the good bacteria and other enzymes, but it still keeps some of the good stuff and is better then formula if you can afford it. Now if you are talking about taking donor milk straight from another mother I personally have done that for a friend whose little one was having latch issues so her milk wastn' coming in right. She used my pumped milk to use in a supplemental nursing system until she got her LO to latch correctly. This was a woman that I have known for years though. I would be concerned if it wasn't someone I knew very well or it wasn't coming from a food bank.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Mom that donate can go to their doctor and have tests run to prove they don't have any diseases that pass in BM, some just don't pass either. PLUS if they are feeding their own healthy child with their milk its obvious that the milk is ok....yes the milk from milk banks loses some of its nutrients from pasteurization...just like cows milk does. human milk is alive, it has DNA in it....antibodies, pasteurizing kills those antibodies...the nutrients are still better absorbed than formula but it loses some of its good immunity properties.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would assume they check the milk before giving it to a baby.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• That really grosses me out.
    Anonymous

• If it's peer-donated instead of from a milk bank: Of course! It's always wise to get to know the donor, and to request medical paperwork that shows the results of HIV, HTLV, Hepatitis and Syphillis tests, the same as would be run by milk banks. Not many diseases pass through mom's milk.

If the milk bank has tested the milk, it's also pasteurized, and is pretty much guaranteed safe for consumption. And at higher standards than cow's milk or infant formula is considered "safe", at that!
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 5:01 PM on Apr. 14, 2009