any ideas on getting my baby to take a bottle?

My daughter is 5 months old and strictly breast fed the whole time. Now I am needing to get her to take a bottle so that I can get back to work, but she will not have anything to do with it. I am pumping and trying to give it to her in a bottle, we tried a sippy cup and like 5 different kinds of nipples still she will not take it. Her father and grandma both try but she just spits it out and cries. Any advice would be appreciated.

pooh62479

Asked by pooh62479 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my two year old was seven months I was going on an out of town trip for four days and I couldn't bring him along. He was ebf. I tried everything I could think of to get him to take a bottle.
    Then oe day my neighbor said to try this and it worked.
    So you nurse your baby until she is sleepy, have bottle on hand. When she stops sucking for a minute stick the bottle in her mouth. She will likely suck on it for a second or two. She will probably spit is out, when this happens give her the breast back. Keep it up. When she is drifting off put the bottle in when she notices give her back the breast.
    I did this for three days a three of times a day By the third day my baby was taking the bottle for longer stretches of time, by day four he would take the bottle for the full feeding.
    Good luck!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Neither of my girls cared for a bottle. Try offering it a little before actual feeding time if you haven't already. If you wait for her to ask to nurse and she is already convinced she's really hungry she may be more prone to resist. I'd keep having someone else offer it to her with you no where around, but not force it. If she refuses, let it be, but you don't come in and give her breast. Eventually she should decide she had better take it. Does she use a bink? Several companies make pacis and nipples. I know you've tried several nips already, but if you haven't tried one that matches her bink you should. :) Good luck! I waited until the last minute to get my middle child on a bottle before going back to work and it was the worst. I think they say if you don't do it by 12 weeks there's a slim chance, don't they?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• they have these strange nipples at giant (only place i can find them) nuk makes them. they are flat on one side but my daughter will only take them.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Try having them place a shirt or something of yours over their clothing so she smells you and if possible hold the bottle at the position you normally feed her. Show them how you hold her and have them each try. If she is hungry enough she will eat. Thats the only thing I know to do. I took care of a baby who was breast only and when her mom went to work it took a few days but she learned she had to eat that way and I would just lay the shirt over my clothes and then hold the bottle kind of in my arm so she was in the position her mom fed her and she caught on.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i use the laytex brown nipples and my daughter is ok with it. there is also a new bottle out called nuby, the nipple is most like the breast
    treswifey8607

Answer by treswifey8607 at 10:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2009