Why won't he sleep in his own bed all night!?!? AHHH

I have a 16 month old son who refuses to sleep all night in his own bed. He's in a toddler bed because he's a monkey and started climbing out of his crib, so we had to convert it. Well, we did that and now in the middle of the night, he climbs up our bed and passes out. I'm 36 weeks pregnant and don't have the energy to keep putting him back. I swear, by midnight I've gotten up at least 4 times in the 3 hours he's been sleeping. After awhile, I feel like I can't do it and just leave him be. I know I'm being lazy, but I already feel like someone ripped all my energy from me. He use to sleep so great by himself!! I just don't get it. Why all the sudden and now when I need him to be a big boy!?!

tinkle84

Asked by tinkle84 at 1:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• awww...I'm sorry! He is just getting to that age. 2 the age of defiance!!! Thank goodness my daughter is almost out of that phase. She too learned to climb out of her crib very early on, like 13 months, so I had to convert her bed early. She started climbing in my bed, and even though I put her back every single time, this continued from 15 months all the way till 2 1/2!!!!!!!!!! Now finally she sleeps all night in her bed again. Good Luck hun.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 1:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I asked my daughter this one time. Her response was yours is more comfortable. We bought her a new bed and she has not been in my bed since.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• You think you might have gotten pregnant a little too soon after you had your first? Keep in mind even though your having a baby that you still have one already. My son did not sleep in his own crib till he was 25 months. My husband and I are strong believers in letting our son grow up on his own. When hes ready then hes ready, we try not to rush things. I understand that your all out of energy but if you want the problem fixed then you have to be consistent. Watch Super Nanny, great show and it will teach you sooo much. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My 2nd oldest kept crawling into bed with me at night because he had a toddler bed, and the night we got him a twin sized bed he stopped getting into mine. So if you have a toddler bed, consider upgrading, those things are so uncomfortable. If he's already in a twin sized bed, don't make putting him back in bed a fun game for him, be stern and possibly mean, which isn't hard to do when your dead tired.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 5:25 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I think that that is pretty normal, I had my daughter when my son was 18 months. It has been intersting to say the least. My son still tries to crawl into bed with me at night probably once a night. I don't mind because DH works at night, but I do try to put him to bed with a routine. I give him a warm bath before bed and then read and tuck him in. Also giving him a night light helped a lot. He would wake at night and be scared. Now, he sleeps in his bed most nights. I just take it one day at a time. Hang in there, 4 weeks to go!
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 7:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It could be a phase. They get clingy around this age and just want the extra attention and security. Also, with you being pregnant, he's aware that things are chaning and probably clinging on to you even more. Can you put the toddler bed in your room? Maybe let him sleep with you while still having space?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't think I got pregnant too early at all. Being on birth control, if it happens then it was obviously meant to be. I so would put his bed in our room for awhile if we didn't live in base housing and only have a 2 bedroom. We bought a house in Louisiana, and the transition from a decent sized 3 brm to a SMALL 2 brm isn't very comforatble. Thanks for the advise though
    tinkle84

Answer by tinkle84 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• They grow out of it. Just keep putting him back in and putting him back in and show no weakness, don't bribe him, and show ur muscle. Or you'll end up with him ur bed until he's twelve.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 10:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2010