• In the Spotlight:

Anyone else married to a Type 1 diabetic?

The paramedics just left our house. My husband's blood sugar went low, again. He had a seizure and the paramedics had to come to our house, again.
He's had more hypoglycemic seizures than I can even remember. Sometimes I can get him glucose fast enough so I don't need to call an ambulance, but most of the time I have to call. 3 weeks ago we ended up in the ER and I had to drag our poor 7 wk old daughter there, and then we had to wait around for hours.
Does anyone else go through this? I'm not really looking for advice, I'm looking for someone who can relate. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. I mean, how many other wives have to use all their body strength to push their husband's rigid, seizing body back onto the bed before he falls off and hits his head on the nightstand again?
We know all the medical stuff, so no need to tell me that he needs to check his sugar and eat more... I know all that.

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 1:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• OMG, my husband's a type 1 diabetic and his blood sugar drops all the time! We always have the paramedics over because I just can't get him under control when it drops. He had a few seizures a couple months ago and I almost didn't catch one of them, he was in bed taking a nap and "snoring" - turns out he was growling and having a seizure. I've never met anyone else who's blood sugar drops the way my husband's does, everyone else seems to run high.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 3:45 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• I've also never met another diabetic who goes low.
    I get so scared that I'll miss a seizure. One time he was driving home, his sugar went low, and thankfully he remained conscious enough to pull over and call 911, but he was too out of it to tell them where he was. I was at work, and I got a call from the police saying they were trying to track down my husband because he was having a seizure. They had to search 8 exits off the highway between his work and our house until they found him.
    Does your husband have violent seizures? My husband does the "snoring" thing after a couple of minutes of having a violent seizure. And then he turns into the Hulk. When the EMTs come to give him an IV of sucrose he gets super strong and fits them off.... but he's still completely unconscious.
    It's good to know there's someone else out there who knows what I go through.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 8:13 AM on Apr. 20, 2009