Do you think that low income families are low income because of their own doings?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• You know what? I think NOT EVERYONE can be rich...

I am not wealthy, and I have had some chances to save my money and already have blown one chance away. I vowed not to blow my second chance away, I save like a chipmunk!

I think self-belief, self-discipline, personal sacrifice, and endurance in both those areas will help ANYONE get out of debt.

The only problem, most people don't believe that about themselves.

Oh, and I think people don't read enough fine print, and I think divorce and healthcare are the TWO COSTLIEST things out there to go through so sometimes it's NOT the people's fault.
    averillholistix

Answer by averillholistix at 9:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• some maybe. but in mine and my husbands case, we didnt ask to be laid off, he calls and sends resumes everyday, he even has an associates degree, theres just no work in the state we live in. and after i have my baby ill be able to work again and once he gets a job we should be making at least 60k a yr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Mostly yes...my family of three is in the low income bracket. My hubby works his butt off and so do I we never buy things for our wants its always needs to keep us breathing and warm. We work very very hard and appreciate the help that strangers pay on taxes for people like us....its for people like us who are striving to be great people and a very lovin family. I know my bro and sil are low income and on medi cal too and they spend they're extra cash on junk food and expensive video game units etc! Its ridiculous and infuriates me
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yes, sometimes. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• some yes some no. ppl dont want to make better for themselves because of all the assisted help they get. but there are some ppl TRYING to make better but arent gettign anywhere right now. pple need to be smart about their money, save what you have to make better for your family than what you had.
    trelyn

Answer by trelyn at 2:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have found that many ppl that work in lower paying job I.E. food service, are there simply because A. They can not pass a drug test B. They are to lazy to work a typical labor job
    C. High School Dropouts
    I have managed these people for several years so I do feel that they are poor by choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• mostly yes. my mom was.
    She decided to PLAN her first child when she was only 17, not finished with high school and not married.
    but she worked her ass off to try to get out of the situation she put herself in. ...took her more then 15 years but finally she finished college and found a good paying job. ...until bad health hit her. but that's another story.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I think its about half and half to be honest. A lot of us just can't find better work right now due to the economy. A lot of us choose not to try because we think we are better off living off the system. A lot of us work as hard as we can in dead end jobs because we can't go any further with the skills and education we have. My husband and I fall into the first category. Our good friends fall into the third. My husband's exwife (stepsons bio mom) falls into the middle category. Then there are the ones that have been hit with medical complications and are fighting against that. (my brother in law). It really depends from person to person.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Most of the time, yes I do. Most of them do not even have a HS diploma, many of them have a criminal record, many have more kids than they can afford, and many have very poor work ethic.

It is different if you are a hard working individual who falls on hard times. But do not make excuses for your poor choices.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 7:20 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• "Most of the time, yes I do. Most of them do not even have a HS diploma, many of them have a criminal record, many have more kids than they can afford, and many have very poor work ethic.

It is different if you are a hard working individual who falls on hard times. But do not make excuses for your poor choices."

This may be true for SOME. Try this....in my family we all have HS diplomas. I even have a college degree. No criminal records at all. WE chose to NOT abort our birth control failures, thus we have 5 kids. We chose for me to be a SAHM. We work our tails off to LIVE WITHIN OUR MEANS. We are at the bottom rung of low income level, just above the poverty line. We do not accept public assistance.

Are those poor choices? Maybe financially, but we're not putting money above all else. Oh, and I'm not the only one that I know like that. Many, many people I know live the same way we do.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2009