Con artists....ugh!

Okay so I've been looking at a house to rent and found a great one really close to where I am currently and for a great price.....turns out the dude was a scam artist...you know the ones from Nigeria UGH yeah right...obviously a red flag if you want me to send you rent and then some for blah blah blah reasons...just upset that there are people like that taking advantage of people trying to have a life. Some guy did it too me too when I was looking for a puppy...took me through this grueling process to end with...send me money to eastern Africa poor me. Question is...is it just that easy to rip people off? Are these people really where they say they are? How can they even do this and keep getting away with it? Errr..

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• well i think people should have enough common sense and street smarts to know its a scam, and if they are stupid enough to fall for it then its their own fault and i wouldn't feel sorry for them but i hope the scam artists get caught and charged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Try rentals.com....craigslist has a lot of scammers. I am assuming that's where you found it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I used to work at a bank and I was shocked and appalled at the number of people that would come in to do western union or wire transfers for situations like this. The foreign lottery or a deceased prince with no will. It is insane. It was policy to try to explain to them about these scams, but if they still insisted, then you couldn't refuse. I think I had a total of about 40 people in 8 months try to do this. I talked about 30 of them out of it, but that is still 10 people that fell for it.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Like the old adage goes "If something is too good to be true, it probably is!"

There are PLENTY of houses to rent available through TRUSTWORTHY sites like Apartments.net or Realtor.com, and PLENTY of animal shelters where puppies can be adopted.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I hate those scams, too. But someone must be doing it. otherwise they scammers wouldn't try. It is annoying, I have had really good luck on craigslist but you have to wade through a lot of crap before you get anything good. I feel sorry for the people that are scammed, often they just really are trusting, and it's horrible to take advantage.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I saw a documentary on this... They will literally have like 10-20 guys in one room on computers trying to scam people in all different kinds of ways. I wouldnt do business with anyone over seas personally.

BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• bugs, just like obama, preys on the weak to push his agendas. sad for you and the rest of america. con artist abound and get away with it, look at the white house now. i am sorry you have had to go through this, however, caution is key. if it sounds too good to be true - - -! I'd really try apartment finder or house finder, check your local paper, try a real estate agent - now they may look or locate homes for rent for no fee. be careful, be leary and good luck to you. greed is a terrible malignancy.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• bugs, just like obama, preys on the weak to push his agendas.

Not that you aren't entitled to your opinion, but in case you hadn't read the question thoroughly, it had nothing to do with any politician whatsoever. Why is it the people who hate Obama have to make it known every 5 seconds?

"What do you think about Octamom's tv show?"
    "I think it's silly... and Obama is the devil!!!"

seriously... give it a rest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have no idea how this became political. Wow!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• because why should scamming surprise anyone, those who voted for obama were ultimately scammed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2009