• In the Spotlight:

How can you lighten red hair, cheaply?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 2:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• You can put lemon juice in your hair and sit in the sun...helps with blonde highlights. Or they sell a spray called sun-in at the store that does the same thing but you have to sit in the sun for a bit... the good thing is that it looks natural and it don't harm your hair like other products . OR you can get a shade lighter then your own hair color and dye it. good luck!
    faithsMoM27

Answer by faithsMoM27 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Sun in turns my hair orange, as do many of the dyes. :( I am trying to avoid that. From what I hear lemon juice and chlorine create green hair. I may just have to hang in the sun.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i was gonna say lemon juice too
    jambalover

Answer by jambalover at 12:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• yeah stick with natural stuff like the real sun. The others create false colors that you usually don't want. Then again, hair dye is only $2.98 at Target. You could go red and have great conditioner to boot.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Sun-in contains peroxide and will indeed turn your hair orange! It's not recommended for redheads,only blonde to light brown.I'd go with a semi-permanent product like Natural Instincts in a light red or reddish blonde shade to see if it looks ok,then you can try a permanent one.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Lemon juice + sun or coffee/tea rinses.
    Anonymous

• I hate to tell you, but you might as well give up the blond unless you have some money to go to a professional stylist. It's just a fact of life. Red hair just shouldn't be dyed blond. I've never seen a red head actually achieve a nice looking blond color on their hair unless it was someone in Hollywood. lol If you're going to do something, get some high-lights, but don't dye the whole thing. I went to school with a girl with red hair who high-lighted. It looked okay, but her red hair looked way better on her. I buy the Frost & Glow with the head cap. It is one of the best dyes I've used from a store, and it makes it blond. It will give you a more blond look, but in 4 weeks you might want to try it again to really make the orange go away. It's about $10 or less at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, probably Walgreens etc. I leave mine on for about 30 to 40 minutes so it will turn lighter. Just keep an eye on your hair when doing it.
    Anonymous