• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my son interested in doing School work at home?

He is in kindergarten. The teacher has sent words to learn at home like the sound sh make and th. Well when i try to help him he gets an attitude and dosent want to do it. He says school work is for school. I try to explaon to him that he has to learn these at home but he wont, I get frustrated and dont know what to say or do.

Arobison3

Asked by Arobison3 at 2:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• explain that kids in school have to do homework to help them learn things the right way. if you have older children that would be a good example. try to set aside an hour each day to work on his "homework". with the attitude he has it might be best to try it a few hours after he gets home, that way he gets some free time before he has to sit down again and work on his school work.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• High fives and "You're so smart!" Boys love that stuff. And eating sweets or junk food when you help with homework. Take a break to throw popcorn at eachother. Just make it low stress and sort of fun. Turn off the TV and every distraction. I find doing it right after school helps and then they can do whatever afterwards.
    anna_ny

Answer by anna_ny at 5:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Take away all districtions (sometimes do it at the library), set a routine, sit by him and look at a magazine or read a book or catch up on your own paperwork. If it gets to be a battle, take yourself out of it, and have a older child from school (who wants to earn a few bucks) help him (younger kids look up to him to older ones). Read to him a book/story about a kid and homework (sometimes it "clicks" with a kid when they see something on tv or in a book). There are some cute books for kids (and adults) about homework. Click on the homework link here http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 3:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Set up a study area, keep a timer there, and stick to a schedule. Also have the teacher explain to him about the importance of homework. I home school my children, and my oldest is five. He doesn't always want to listen to me, but we have certain times of the day that certain things are done, for a certain amount of time. I don't have a rigid schedule...but for the sake of my kids and their routine, I try to stay consistent.

For your son, get into a routine when he comes home from school. Let him have a snack, then set a timer for 30 minutes of TV time, or video game time, or whatever he likes to do. When the timer goes off, it's homework time, guesstimate the amount of time it will take to complete the homework, and set a timer. Encourage him...stay really positive...and throw in things like "Wow! You're doing so great...you're already halfway done!" Keep him focused, and get it done WITH him.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 3:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My son is 6yrs old in 1st grade and he knows the routine...he is dropped off to Grandma after school and he gets a snack, phone call to me and then homework begins. His school has homework listed on a site so I usually know what he has for the night and we discuss briefly before I leave work. He is very good about wanting to complete his assignments on his own so I can be proud of him. I started from the moment he was entered into school at 3yrs old with the "great Job", sticker rewards, absolutely NO t.v during the week (Fri-Sun) we go to the library some Saturdays to change the scenery. I am in Publishing so he loves books and I take him to bookstores to pick out even more. I did arts & crafts, painting.. something different every night, there were also weekend treats like movie nights, a new video game, a new dvd..I have been mixing it up since age 3 and I have ABSOLUTELY no problems in that area..he knows what's expectd
    sexymommyrb

Answer by sexymommyrb at 10:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2009