Did you know there ARE term limits in Congress?

It's called the "election". I am a big supporter of enacting and enforcing term limits for members of Congress, but then realized in the shower the other day that they're already in place. All we need to do is vote the incumbent out.
I used to work with a 72 year old woman who NEVER voted for the incumbent, even if she thought they did a good job. I asked her why and she replied "they're all crooks who talk a good game, so let the next crook have a chance".

How do you think Congress would take it if we never voted for the incumbent, regardless of party affiliation, but kept constantly putting in NEW people? Do you think things might improve if our elected officials realized they didn't really have the job security they thought they did (and which most of us Americans never really have either?)

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 5:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In a perfect world voters would vote with their heads and not their emotions or for superficial reasons. I think it IS good policy to vote against the incumbent--BOTH parties have crooked electorates.

I have met too many pacifists in my time that think elected officials (all levels/positions) are a "chosen" class...that they are somehow smarter than the average person, have skills/abilities that no other person has, etc. It really is pathetic that many people don't think their vote counts for anything, or that they are incapable of enacting change.

I mean even Pope John Paul II was a "regular guy" until he went in to the priesthood and was later elected to Pope.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Any good goverment teacher would tell you that! I do think that no set term limit has really put a damper on some things but at the same time, if everyone is as pissed off as they say they are then they need to get off their butts and vote for someone else.

Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• That's a great idea in theory but if you look at some of the polls showing Congress' dismal approval ratings most people think their own reps are doing a great job.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:27 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If all congresspeople, senators, governors and other politicians knew they were only going to be in for one term no matter what, they might make things worse, under the premise of "get it while you've got the chance". I think the ability to recall or impeach them should be easier and quicker to get them out in a matter of days or weeks if they don't "serve the people" like they promised and are sworn to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2009