How do I get my 5 year old back in line?

My 5 year old son has suddenly turned into a complete monster! He used to be polite and well behaved and my sweet little boy. But, lately he's been acting up and having huge temper tantrums (the kind where he throws himself on the ground in public and makes me drag him). If I tell him he can't go outside to play with his friends he tells me he's going anyway and runs out the door making me chase after him (then back to more dragging). I am at my whits end and I don't know what else to do. We've tried time outs, grounding him, taking things away, and even spanking all to no avail. Any suggestions or has anyone else had their child do a complete 180 on them like this? HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• has there been any major changes in ur life dat maybe affected him,,i have a 5yr old as well and it can be very tough
    chumi192002

Answer by chumi192002 at 8:28 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Find out if there is an issue in school if he goes. Talk to the teacher and find out if he might be getting picked on. Stay consistent with him and don't let him get away with it. Find someone to watch him since he wont behave in the store. Don't give him the chance to act out in public by not taking him with you. Once he sees your going on without him and he is stuck home he will change his tune. Find a child counselor in your area and speak with them. Try taking away his toys, tv and video games. My mom would make us do nothing but lay in our beds and look at the ceiling if we acted up. If we did it in a store then once we hit the car we got our butt beat right then and there and then got put in our rooms at home. Try talking to him and see what is going on, is his father in the picture or step parent? Think of major life changes on your end.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Thank you for the tips. Yes, his father is in the picture. We've been married for 7 years and we have 3 children together. Alex is the oldest. The only change recently was that we pulled him out of daycare last month because my husband was laid off. Since he's almost ready for kindergarden I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I thought it would be almost like taking summer vacation. Apparently that is what is driving this newfound rebellion in him. I suppose we'll just have to keep battling with him until he realizes he's not going to win. On a funny note though...we were watching Supernanny last night with him and he told us we need her to come helpus with him....so obviously he's aware what he's doing is wrong. Hopefully that will be enough for him to change his tune soon.
    DaciaLangford

Answer by DaciaLangford at 11:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2009