ice packs and newborns???

ok so my son hit his head on his dad's head last night. he is 1 month old. he has a little bit of a bruise and its a tad swollen. is he too young for an ice pack? and should i take him to the ER? he seems fine. a bit fussy right now but he slept and woke up and was smiling at me and cooing. should i worry and can i use that ice pack?

pookie_jrs_mom

Asked by pookie_jrs_mom at 7:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about the ice pack but I would call the pedi or even go to the er since he is newborn
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• maybe use just a cool wet cloth,I would'nt put an ice pack on him,but I am sure he will be fine
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• ice might be too much of a shock. At this age, tehy cannot control their body temp well on their own so the ice may give him a chill. cool wet cloth to help with swelling. He'll be fine, I doubt you need to take to ER unless he has clotting issues and you would know that by now! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If they couldn't control their body temperature on their own, they wouldn't have been sent home from the hospital.

It happened last night, ice won't help now.

Next time, get the ice pack, wrap it in a wash cloth and put it on the area hit. As long as there is swelling and it doesn't feel like cottage cheese he's fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• ""If they couldn't control their body temperature on their own, they wouldn't have been sent home from the hospital. ""

I didn't say they *couldn't*, I said they don't do it *WELL*. Hence why you should always dress your baby one layer warmer than you dress yourself, and why they recommend a certain temperature in your home for younger children. This is also why they say to dry a child quickly after the bath hence why experts recommend having the towel ready after a *warm* bath.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't do either. An ice pack now wouldn't help much and bringing him to the ER would be pointless... what would they do for it? You would only expose him to a bunch of germs.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2009