Umbelical cord(sp)?

I had my baby boy 3 weeks ago. His little umbelical stump fell off a weeks ago, and the area is weeping some stuff and crust stuff. I try to keep it clean, but it just doesnt look right. What should I do.?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take him to the doctor. He could have an open area that is infected. So make an appointment asap and if the pediatrician can't get him in then do the hospital route or even like a rapid response center or something. In the mean time continue putting alcohol on it so help fight any possible infection.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• what it is is soft skin (skin that hasn't quite healed all the way yet) it may still bleed and some fluid might come out that dries into that crusy stuff. it IS normal just not very common. all you have to do it keep cleaning it with alcohol and it is considered open so stick to sponge baths until you dont notice any more crust. if you are worried keep an eye on it for redness and swelling because that is not normal and if you are still worried give your doctor a call. my son just had this happen to him and that is EXACTLY what his pediatrician told me
    pookie_jrs_mom

Answer by pookie_jrs_mom at 8:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If it doesn't look right to you, why have you not taken him to the doctor or at least called and spoken to a nurse?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Does it have any smell??? That happened to Emma and it ended up getting infected but had a rancid smell to it like rotting feet god it was horrible. If it smells at all i would give the after hours dr a call asap
    danielle072903

Answer by danielle072903 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2009