Do you just assume everyone is a Christian?

At my work we do secret pals to give each other gifts for the holidays. The woman who picked me this year is someone I don't know at all. For both Easter and Christmas she gave me religious things. I am not a Christian and was surprised that she would just assume I was.
If you are Christian do you just assume everyone else is too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To assume that because someone is participating in a Christmas/Easter celebration at THEIR PLACE OF WORK is christian is RUDE. Most of America celebrates xmas as a fun time not as a religious holiday. To give out religious gifts is rude IMO.
    I have definitely experienced the change of behavior towards me/my family once they learned we are atheists. That is why I was a quiet atheist for a long time. But I have found that then people don't learn that we are not *bad* when they are not aware of our presence in their lives. And I do get offended when people assume I am christian because *you're such a good person* arrrgh! That is because I have thought about my values and morals- they were not just handed to me by long dead people via a book.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Well, I guess I do. We treat people by our own experiences. I don't know it is worth getting offended over. She spent her money on you. Be gracious and say thank you.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• oh that is hysterical. I think though if someone is having a easter or christmas gift exchange and people are participating then it's fair to think or believe the people are christian. and give t hem religoius gifts if they truly hold the religious value of the holidays. LOL.. but to answer your question, no i don't automatically think people are christian.... but sometimes i can hit the nail on the head if i look and guess. LOL btw i'm muslim, no one can mistake me for a christian unless they think im a nun. LOL
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I assume most people aren't.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:01 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• jesse123456 "Well, I guess I do. We treat people by our own experiences. I don't know it is worth getting offended over. She spent her money on you. Be gracious and say thank you. "

I never siad I was offended. I was just surprised. I was gracious and I did say thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I've noticed most people tend to assume everyone is Christian. I'm fine with that, the only issue I really have is when some of them get offended and upset when they find out I am not. I've had people know me for months and treat me one way, then find out their assumptions were incorrect, and suddenly start treating me completely differently. That is annoying.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't assume anything. At least I try not to.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I think a lot of people DO assume that. It definitely depends on a lot of circumstances as well but in my personal experience, the majority assume you are Christian or they just cannot comprehend the fact that not everyone shares their beliefs. I have especially found this out now that I live in the south. ITA with mandaday and have experienced the switch in treatment as soon as they discover you aren't. But, I usually stay away from sharing my beliefs primarily to avoid the problems.

I also think there are people that do not care what your religious beliefs are, they feel it is a way to proclaim their beliefs and 'spread the word.'

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:05 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I am not Christian & I tend to assume people are not religious when I meet them until I see something to indicate otherwise. I find that most people do assume that everyone they meet is Christian. I think it is rude to give religious themed personal gifts in a nonreligious set up like work, but of course I don't make a fuss over it. I don't think anything of getting a religious themed Christmas card or something like that, I assume that people are celebrating the holiday important to them & simply appreciate that they thought of me. I also assume they will feel the same about my Solstice or Equinox cards.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would just buy something like bath and body spa gift if it were female, if I knew they were Christian, I would buy something they would enjoy that way.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 11, 2009