Co-sleepers, help please!

I have always co-slept with my three year old daughter and new baby, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but do you feel like you lose any time by yourself at night?

My older daughter usually wont go to sleep independent of me. If I put her to bed before I am ready to lie down, she will lie there and stay in bed, but she wont go to sleep until I am in there like she is waiting on me.

Is this just typical? Did you notice it? Did you do anything different?

This is to co-sleepers...I don't want bashing or to hear "that's why I don't co-sleep"...the benefits far outweigh this for our family.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• if you love it and wouldn't have it any other way just where do get off complaining?

laughingthere is always one in the bunch!!!

mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:18 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I do have to lay with dd to get her to go to sleep (we do co-sleep, she is 2.5), but once she is asleep-- she is is out for the night, but maybe she sleeps so well because even if I get out of bed, she still has her dad.. Now when we do try to put her in her own bed, she only sleeps for about 3-4hrs, if we are lucky she wont wake up till 4-5am the next morning..

Is there anything that will help her go to sleep? maybe read to her or let her watch some TV while going to sleep (TV keeps dd up-she will stay up till 1am watching tv if its on, even if its something not interesting to a 2yo) maybe play some soothing music? I dunno. lol. just throwing some thoughts out there lol...

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I co-sleep with my son who's almost 4. He is able to fall asleep independently of me, though that took a while. When he was younger, we were working on transitioning him to his own room (he sleeps in both) and I would use "interruptions" to take me out of his room for longer and longer times, until he got used to falling asleep by himself. I would read a book, then tell him I had to do something downstairs but that I would be back. I would do whatever, come back, snuggle a bit, then "remember" something else I forgot...and be gone longer. Over time, he learned to accept this because there were also times when I had to work on the computer and I would be up really late. So now he is able to fall asleep by himself whether in his bed or mine.
    So when you put her to bed, remember to forget something a few times, each time being gone a little longer...until she falls asleep. Good luck~
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Look...anon showed up again to be rude.

Thank you other ladies. I used to lay with her until she went to sleep before the baby was born, but now that she is up, I find myself staying up with her...I suppose there would be no harm in taking the baby in with me even if she doesnt sleep.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I also co-sleep with both my 2 month old and my 2.5. He will go to sleep on his own for a nap if I am in the room with him, but at night once his daddy is home he wont go to sleep on his own unless he didnt get a nap earlier, then he usually falls asleep watching a movie in the living room then we carry him to bed.
    mommy806209

Answer by mommy806209 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My son slept with me, but he fell asleep on his own and stayed asleep after I got out of bed in the morning. He slept with me until he was 4 or 5. I took a lot to get him to sleep in his own bed and I will not co-sleep again. There were nights that I had no room or covers because he hogged the bed. That is my opinion, it works for some but not others. If you daughter is laying in the bed without you, just leave her. She will learn how to sleep on her own.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I would lay with her until she goes to sleep then just get back up. Dont listen to the Anon B@#%$
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2009