• In the Spotlight:

Would you go to another church that you are uncomfortable with thier beliefs just to spend Easter with your kids?

My mom will have my girls tomorrow, we have always spent Easter at my grandmothers but this year they are taking my girls to a church that is having a hunt after service. She said if I wanted to spend the day with my girls I would have to go to church with them. I go to my own church much less uppity. We go dressed as we are comfortable, We don't have to wear a dress just to get in the door.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm going to descent with popular opinion. What got me is where does you mom get off telling you that if you want to spend time with your children your going to have to go along with whatever she has planned, your feelings be damned? Yes I paraphrased it, but that what it sounds like to me.

I don't think I would be letting my children go with grandma this year at all if I was told that. They can come to my church and be with me. If grandma wants to see the kids then she can get off her high horse and suck it up and attend church with us! And if your church isn't doing an egg hunt, you can always have one at home.

I think that there is clearly a power struggle going on. And I for one don't buy into the whole blood is thicker than water crap. We can't choose our parents and if we could I think most would not have chosen the ones we got!
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Personally, yes, I would be uncomfortable for one day if it meant spending time with my child.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yes, especially in the situation that you describe. If it were a cult that sacrificed live animals or something that made me upset, then no, but a church that was more formal or less formal, then I'd go.

Answer by Bmat at 9:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• YES I WOULD, ONE DAY WON'T KILL YOU!

Answer by older at 10:02 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• OP person I love my kids but I feel like my mom is trying to shove religion down my throat. Maybe she needs to take some as well. I mean considering she is a money hungry wench and all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I understand how you feel. I have basically BTDT with the religion shoving etc. I would just put my personal beliefs, feelings and pride to the side and enjoy the time with my children. Let her know how you feel but just have a day of enjoyment tomorrow with your kids and worry about the other stuff later.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I answered you in the other post. YES, I would go and just do it for your kids. I prefer a less uppity church as well, so I know how you feel.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If it was important for me to be with my children for a holiday(which I think it is for most parents), then yes...Id deal with it for one day.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 10:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I don't understand why you let her dictate whether or not you get to spend time with YOUR children.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't...your beliefs and your faith are yours to choose and it is not right for your mom to try and pressure you into her church. You cannot recieve what you are there to recieve at church if you are in a place where you are not comfertable. It does not mean that you love your children less it simply means that you will not cave to your mom and that you will not do something that you don't believe in. My step-daughter has a performance at her mom's church on Easter and while I love her very much and I would love to see it I can't stand going to that church. My husband is going to go only while she is performing and videotape it then he is leaving, neither one of us believes in making changes in our faith for the sake of the children because that does not teach children to be strong in faith, nor to stand their ground.
    4Nalon

Answer by 4Nalon at 3:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2009