What is your definition of an alcoholic?

Is it just someone that drinks all the time and can't seem to stop? Is it someone that drinks only on the weekends but can't stop? Is it someone that likes to have ONE beer a day, everyday?

Just curious what your thoughts are...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Health

• Someone who has alcohol as a normal routine,has a few beers after work,a twelve pack on the weekends,drinks at every social function despite what its for.These people have worked alcohol into their daily lives.You don't have to be drunk to be one,its the type where alcohol is as normal as drinking water,if asked to change the routine they respond why and get upset,they deserve their drinks.I've watched alcohol destroy most of my family,and most of them were not your typical fall down drunks.It's similar to any other addiction,you rely on it to function.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My definition of an alcoholic is someone who NEEDS alcohol over wanting it. They drink it on the sly, they hide it. An alcoholic is someone who leads their life with alcohol and everything they do. they are the ones who refuse to believe they have a problem. I am sure there is much more to it than what I said,but thats my impression.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If you were to go in to withdrawal because you DIDN'T drink it, then youre an alcoholic, but there are several phases leading up to that point.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My father was an alcoholic and I have known several others with the condition. If drinking becomes a compulsion, if it becomes a lifestyle. If it begins to interfere with daily activities and the quality of life. If the person is lying or hiding about drinking to others in any way, if they begin to rearrange things in their life around their drinking, if they are making excuses to themselves and/or to others about it.

I think it begins in a way that the alcoholic tries to rationalize, like increasing just on weekends, just after work, just after the kids are in bed, etc, etc. And then in begins to take over other areas of life as well.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My definition is someone who continues to drink despite adverse consequences. So although that person may not drink all the time, when they do, there are adverse effects that they ignore. For instance, I had a grandfather who was an alcoholic, and although he did not drink all the time, when he did, he was physically abusive.

My father is a recovering alcoholic, and he drank, what seemed, in moderation. However, he wouldn't go to a restaurant that didn't serve beer, leaving us kids hungry until he found a suitable place to eat, or he'd rather sit and drink rather than interact with us kids. He was even pulled over for driving under the influence, but blamed the "cop out to get me" rather than his own behavior.

I never observed any noticeable "withdrawal" signs, and my father certainly didn't drink on the sly. Neither did my grandfather. But each one is different.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• An alcoholic is someone who can't live without alcohol. It could be someone who goes out and says I will have 1 drink and then continues drinking (binge drinking), it could be someone who drinks from morning to night. Alcoholics are people that the alcohol affects their daily lives. It is a person who makes excuses for drinking, for being drunk. My brother is an alcoholic and he doesn't drink everyday, but when he does drink it is for the sole purpose of getting drunk. My parents were alcoholics, they went out every Friday to Sunday afternoon to drink. Alcohol problems run in families. A person. who has a beer, wine or drink everyday is not an alcoholic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It is a person who is chemically dependant on alchohol. (?)
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:35 PM on Apr. 11, 2009