Seriously stupid pony tail holder question

You know these things here:
http://www.totallyfashiontrendy.com/Stretch_Hair_Balls_Girls_Ponytail_Holder_p/gphbe-0001.htm

How do you actually use them? What's the point of the bar in the middle? I never used them as a kid (thanks to my mom's love of the Dorothy Hamil do!), and my daughter LOVES them, but I have no clue how to put them in her hair.

shesajar

Asked by shesajar at 10:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• My mom used these for me when I was little. I got some for my girls but we rarely use them. The band in the middle kind of helps give a firmer hold when you have to wrap one of the balls through the loop when you are finished wrapping the band around the ponytail. It is hard to explain. Hope it makes sense.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I couldn't view the link you have (I am having to use an old comuter right now since the cord on our notebook is shot.) I'm guessing you are talking about the ponytail bands that have two balls on them and the band loop bunched in the middle by a metal piece that creates two loops in the band. Is this right? My answer was based on what I just described.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My hair was always too thin for them. I think your hair needs to be on the thicker side. But I know you wrap them around someone and one ball goes thru the other. I would just use the little elastic ones.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Gather the hair into a ponytail. Place and hold one ball at the top of the tail and wrap the band around the tail as many times as you can. On the last wrap-around, insert the second ball into the loop (where the first ball has been held in place).

They are very quick and simple to use. You can find them in different sizes for different hair thickness.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Ugh, my mom used those on me when I was little and they hurt like hell!

I think they work best if you use a plain elastic to hold the ponytail, and then use the balls. Just pass one of the balls through the opposite loop 2 or 3 times until it's tight. Pretty easy when you know it works, but I can see where the confusion would lie if you'd never seen one installed before.
    MrsBlack530

Answer by MrsBlack530 at 12:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2009