is my baby to old for a binky?

He's only 19 mts and I have taking him off the binky but then he got the sucking his thumb. I gave him the binky back because it seems cleaner but i dont know.

Iliesha

Asked by Iliesha at 10:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He just needs something to soothe him and the binky should have been gone by 12 mos 15 at the latest. He isn't going to kill himself sucking his thumb. Since you gave it back it will be more difficult to take it away this time. I wish you luck b/c it will be a rough few days.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• The pediatrician told us that onces there teeth start coming in the binky should be gone. I let my daughter keep hers for longer and it did start moving her teeth out. I too would just let him have his thumb. Kids have been sucking there thumbs sense the dawn of man lol and humanity is still thriving even with a few thumb germs :).
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Sucking a thumb can do the same thing as a pacifier. My son has hotwheels instead of a pacifier or his thumb. He always has to have one in his had at all times. See if that will work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Well thanks for your input coala. But my son had his "binky" till he was 27 months. That's old enough for him to understand what I'm saying to him, completely. I started by taking it away during the day. He could ONLY have it at naps and night. Then it went to JUST night. Then a few days later, I told him there were other boys and girls that needed them and he had to put them in the bag so we could take them and give it to them. HE gathered all of them, even the hidden ones, and put them in the bag. Then he walked away. I threw them out at the bottom of the garbage, and he forgot about them. The next day he asked for his. I told him "Remember we gave them away. We don't have anymore." He just said okay. That was it.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:04 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• A BABY AT 19 MONTHES UNDERSTAND "NO" AND "NO MORE".
    THE BOTTLE SHOULD BE GONE BY 12 MONTHES AS WELL
    AS A PACIFIER, HOWEVER I CANNOT JUDGE BECASE NONE
    OF MY DAUGHTERS EVEN LIKED IT AND EVERY CHILD IS
    DIFFERENT.
    I THINK THAT IF YOU TOOK IT AWAY THAT YOU SHOULDNT
    HAVE GIVEN IT BACK AGAIN BECAUSE IT GIVES MIXED SIGNALS.
    YOUR BABY PROBABLY PUTS HIS MOUTH ON WORSE THINGS
    THAN HIS THUMB WHEN YOU ARENT LOOKING.
    PEOPLE CANT TELL YOU WHAT TO DO WHENEVER YOU AND
    YOUR BABY ARE READY TO GIVE IT UP, THATS WHEN ITS TIME.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 11:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• No binkie!!!! And for the thumb sucking, there is this nail polish made for babies that has this nasty taste to get them to stop sucking on thier thumbs.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:22 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Oh, and I forgot..... I sucked my thumb and my mom and dad just let it go, and I didn't stop till I was 14. My sister didn't stop till she was 12. My brother never sucked his thumb. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• have you tried allowing the binky only at bedtime/naptime? This is what I did with my son at this age. The binky needed to stay in his crib, and he could suck on it when he was in his crib. Some toddlers still have a strong suck need. Later I took it away at bed time as well.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

--------------
    Are you saying it's a good thing for a 14 year old or a 12 year old to be sucking their thumbs?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Here's the thing. Sucking is a form of self-soothing that infants have. As babies grow into toddlers and toddlers into adolescence, they grow in knowledge and in skill. They obtain other methods of self-soothing or placating themselves. It can be seen as a problem when a child is refusing to raise to the next level of growth and maturity in this area, when they'd rather soothe themselves by sucking like an infant, rather than use their new abilities. We as parents should be encouraging our children to embrace age-appropriateness, not regression or being stuck in the same stages.

I think so many people have a problem with toddlers (or older) with thumb sucking or binkies because for SOME people, it is a sign of indulgence. If you can't encourage your child not to soothe themselves like a 4 month old when they're two, what else are you letting them get away with? I'm not here to be "friends" with my kids. I'm MOM!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:03 PM on Apr. 11, 2009