re-refrigeration

ok so I know with a newborn you are supposed to throw out a bottle after it has been out an hour and never re-refrigerate a bottle that has been used but when (if ever) does this rule change, age 4 months, 6 months, 1 year, 5 years??? I figure newborns have an underdeveloped immune system but do old babies & children have a system that could handle it?

tati17

Asked by tati17 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• It never changes. It is to prevent giving your child harmful bacteria that grows in the bottles.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:09 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Yeah, ditto to the first post. When the bottle is out that long, bacteria grows in it. Its not good for any age. I tried really hard not to do that to keep from wasting formula or breast milk.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• TO BE HONEST WITH YOU I RE-REFRIDGERATE
    AND MY CHILDREN HAVENT GOTTEN SICK.
    BUT TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE I WOULDNT TELL
    ANOTHER MOM TO DO IT IF SHE DOESNT FEEL
    COMFORTABLE.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 11:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• OK I AM ADDING TO THE QUESTION AS THE PERSON WHO ASKED IT....

I KNOW you arent supposed to do this beacuse of the bacteria groth so i guess my question is, is this bacteria harmful to older kids/people because lets face it some things that can KILL a new born are harmless to older kids and adults.. please dont just regurgitate info learned concerning new borns, i am interested in if it effects NON newborns
    tati17

Answer by tati17 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• OUR BODY IS MADE TO DEFEAT THESE LITTLE BACTERIA.
    THE REAL PROBLEM IS THAT OUR SALIVA HAS BACTERIA
    IN IT SO IF YOU LEAVE SOMETHING THAT YOU DRANK FROM
    OUT THE BACTERIA MULTIPLY. HOWEVER WHEN YOU
    REFRIDGERATE, IT SLOWS THAT MULTIPLYING PROCESS
    DOWN SINCE THE COLD ISNT AN IDEAL PLACE FOR BACTERIA
    TO PLAY.
    DOES ANYBODY DIE FROM THIS? I HIGHLY DOUBT IT.
    HOWEVER AS I SAID BEFORE; KNOWING WHAT YOU KNOW THE
    DECISION IS YOURS TO MAKE.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 11:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• no, it can still be harmful to anyone. re-refrigeration can always pose a problem. While the effects may be worse with a brand new baby, it is still bad and can easily make an infant/toddler sick. It's just a fact... and it's also kind of gross.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:21 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Remember that its not just the formula itself if you leave it out for an hour. If you look at the instructions on the can (at least on Emfamil) it says that you can leave fixed formula at room temp for up to 2 hours before you have to toss it out. Its if baby has drank some of it that the 1 hour rule applies.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I did it. My son will be three next month. He's fine. I did it with milk too. And I still do. I don't see a problem in it. He's not dying, or hurt.... =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:26 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Its a personal choice. I will re-refrigerate my own drinks. And my sons, He is 7. Like if we get a Snapple or something and don't finish it, I will put it in the fridge. I will also drink off the same bottle of water for an entire day. But I didn't start doing that with my son until he was about 4 or 5. Up until then, he got a drink for an hour (with the exception of water) and then it was tossed out. But it is a personal choice. My sister will throw out her drinks still if she doesn't finish them within half an hour.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• It doesn't change. A formula bottle is good outside the fridge for 2 hours and then you dump it out. Thats not saying that people don't re-refrigerate bottles, I did and my son survived--he is 12 1/2 yrs old. To the posters that are talking about sodas and juices, that is different. Formula is usually milk based and can spoil, The smell of spoiled formula is just nasty.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 11, 2009