Do you think parents should put their daughters on birth control at age 16?

My friends say yes because you never know what your child is doing. I can't say because I have three boys

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think parents should be comfortable enough to talk to their kids about sex along with all of its physical and emotional side effects and not make it painfully awkward. I think if a parent has even the slightest inkling that their daughter is having sex they should talk to her about it and know whether or not she should be on birth control. I don't think it's fair to say that every 16 year old girl across the board should be put on birth control. Although most probably are, not every 16 year old girl is having sex.
    I also think that when the day comes for me to buy my daughter birth control it will not mean that I am giving her permission to have sex. It means that SHE has decided she is ready to have sex, whether I like it or not, and by buying her birth control I am being a good parent and protecting her future.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Two thoughts here 1) yes because as your friend says you never know, 2) no teach them to always have their partner use a condom because they protect against STD's and birth control does not and if they aren't on the pill they are more likely to use condoms. But I also only have a boy so......

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• my girls are to young for this so i am not sure, but i want to teach my girls to be able to talk to me about anything because I couldn't tell my mom anything when I was younger. I want my girls to be able to talk to me if they are having sex and if they are then I will get them on birth control, but I am not going to straight up ask them or they will want on the pill and they will think it is ok. I will let my girls know however about possible STD's and things and to let them know however about having sex before marriage and stuff, but they also are going to do what they want to behind your back so if my girls are having sex then I will put them on the pill I rather do that then them get pregnant
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have a son so I can't really say. I put myself on birth control at 17. My mom made an appointment for my yearly physical and I asked the doc for bc. At 17 and for reproductive health, a girl doesn't need parents permission. He talked to me about the risks of sex, about STD's, etc and then gave me the pills. I did tell my mom and she was ok with it. My son is almost 13 and has known about condoms since he was about 7. If he is going to have sex then I want him protected (and his parnter). He knows that he should wait until he is married but I am realistic that it won't happen. I am honest with the risks, not just STD's but the emotional issues too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I put my daughter on bc at the age of 15.. NOT because she was having sex.. Because the medicine was proven to help in acne.. AND it has helped her.. She hasn't been allowed to date till she was 16.. She is now 16. She hasn't went out on any dates YET.. But, I've talked to her about sex and she knows that bc WILL NOT keep her from getting any STDs.. I was a mother at her age. I want her to finish school and go to college and make something of herself. NOT that she couldn't w/ a child, its just soo much harder. I think it depends on your daughter and her raising also her lifestyle.. IF she is mature enough to talk to you about it then I say yes. IF she is dating then I say yes.. UNLESS you are ready for a grandchild.. All in All I would say yes.. JMO..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• well what if the daughter got pregnant at 14 or 15?? i dont think it would prevent anything
    Anonymous

• I would never put some on BC just in case. If the kids asks for it just in case, perhaps... but I think the best thing is to encourage the child to ask for it before they need it - or right after it has happened, and of course, they should always use condoms as well.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 1:08 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I asked my parents to get on it when i was 16 and my mother refused. I got pregnant. I was upset because even though they dont believe in pre-marital sex they should have been smart enough to realize that i said i was asking it for it because i was sexually active and done the responsible thing for me. The abortion wouldnt have been an issue.
    Anonymous

• I AM 17 NOW I GOT PREGNANT WHEN I WAS 14 AND HAD MY SON WHEN I WAS 15. NOW IM FIXING TO BE 18 APRIL 30 AND DUE WITH MY SECOND CHILD ON JULY 24. MY OB/GYN DIDN'T WANT TO PUT ME ON ANYTHING WHEN WE FIRST WENT IN, WHICH WAS AT 14, BECAUSE SHE SAID I HADN'T HAD SEX YET. MY MOM INSISTED AND SO DID I, BUT SHE WOULDN'T DO IT. THERE ARE PROS AND CONS ABOUT PUTTING YOUR DAUGHTER ON BIRTH CONTROL. PROS: REGULATE PERIODS AND LOWER RISK OF GETTING PREGNANT. CONS: IF THEY HAVEN'T HAD SEX YET, IT'S MAY SCARE THEM A BIT BECAUSE YOU DO HAVE TO GET A PAP AND IT MAY FREAK HER OUT!
    2006Mama2009

Answer by 2006Mama2009 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Certainly not. A persons body is their's to control & you should not be making decisions about it. When they hit puberty they should be told about birth control, told about STDs & how to protect against them, & informed where & how they can get prescription birth control WHEN THEY ARE READY. Boys should be told where & how they can get condoms.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2009