Not absorbing iron???

I have always had problems with anemia- well at least for the last 11 years. I take a daily chromogen supplement to keep my iron levels up. Well last tuesday, I had complained I was very very tired; exhausted actually. They took my iron levels and it was at 8.6 which is very low. She bumped me up to taking it 3x a day and I retested yesterday morning. Well I just called the lab to get the numbers and I'm only at 9.1. I know the tricks about taking it with a big glass of orange juice or with a vitamin c to help it absorb and I've BEEN doing that.
I am 32 weeks pregnant, and my OBs office isnt open until Tuesday. So I figured I'd ask here if anyone has had this happen to them and what they did to get their iron up. I had to have a transfusion last pregnancy, but that was only AFTER birth. I'm trying to avoid that from happening again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hmm. Are you just having an issue absorbing iron? What form is it in, a tablet? If so it is very common for tablets to be harder to absorb. I can't absorb them very well at all.

You can try floradix. It's a liquid iron supplement that I know many anemic women who take it and it seems to help. Look it up! :) Good luck. Also talk to your doctor.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:56 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• try eating iron full foods too . like raw brocolli
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I am anemic because my body doesn't absorb nutrients from my food. I have multiple vitamin deficiencies. I was also supposed to have a blood transfusion after my first child, but it was never administered by the hospital. Scary, right? In any case, all I could do was take my supplements and up my vitamin c intake as you have done. Fortunately, I was not as low as you, so I never really had to experiment with other methods. Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Have you been screened for celiac disease? That will cause you to have trouble absorbing nutrients. I was anemic off and on my whole life until I was finally diagnosed after my 2nd pregnancy.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• do you drink much tea? that can leach the iron.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:33 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• If you take a calcium supplement, get a lot of calcium that also inhibits iron absorption :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2009