im having second thought on having a c-section, and dunno wether or not to have a vaginal birth instead?!!!!

my dilemma this time is that i am now 7months pregnant with my 2nd child and i am unsure weather or not to have a c-section or natural vaginal birth. with my first daughter i had a c-section and my doc said i would be the perfect canidate for another. i am worried about the amount of pain i will be in from being cut as i remember it wasnt very pleasant. another thing im most worried about is the recovery time because with my first child i slept for like a whole month after the operation with the exception of caring for my new born who was also very sleepy the first month too.but now my daughter is 2 years old and very active and i will not be able to sleep as much for i have to take care of her and give her my love and affection as well as taking care of my newborn son. i juz wish someone out there could give me some good advice in helping me make up my mind.

onelove1988

Asked by onelove1988 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honey, my advice is this, if you can, have a natural birth. That way you have both experiences. If your incision went top to bottom, you will likely not be able to have a natural birth due to the scar. If it went horizontal (side to side) you should be able to have natural birth.

I know if I have a choice, the second time around I will have a natural birth, because I had to have a c-section with my first, and I so desperately want a natural birthing experience.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:37 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I want to add that wether its c section, or vag, its a natural birth as your baby comes from you. :o) BUt as for the question a vaginal birth is so much easier to recover from, it hurts but it has an end point. Sections are major surgery as they cut muscle and stuff so yeah that will lay some up. I say try it vaginally, use the epidurals, and other options as needed, and see how you do. If you cannot or there is an issue, then go for the section. it sounds like you ahd a hard time after the first and chances are it wont be the same way this time. Good luck and remeber...your body grew this child, your body will release it into the world, so anyways you do it it is "natural" and theres no shame in that. :o) good luck(I am 36 wks today)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I had an unplanned c-sect with my first. I had my second son 17 months later and had 100% natural vaginal birth. I would NEVER volunteer for a c-sect! Vaginal birth is way better! The recovery after a natural birth is NOTHING compared to major surgery. Of course if I need a c-sect. to save my baby or myself, of course! But, I would never just choose to have another one. My sister and a few close friends have had similar experiences (first a c-sect. then a VBAC) and we all agree. I say give vaginal birth a try!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• HAVE A NATURAL BIRTH IF POSSIBLY, YOU WILL HEAL SO MUCH FASTER . HAVING MY KIDS 15 MONTHS APART I KNOW WHAT KIND OF ENERGY YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR OTHER CHILD.
    BUBKAYDAV

Answer by BUBKAYDAV at 11:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I've had both, the c/s being my last, so a vbac wasn't a major issue for me. But my recovery was much shorter with the vaginal births and if I were to ever have another child (not happening) I would try for a vbac. I actually felt really good after my c/s, I heal really quickly and was pretty much 100% by 5w pp, but that's as opposed to being 100% by 1w pp. I'm not going to judge someone who chooses a c/s, but I personally would always advise trying to go vaginally before having a c/s - of course that's barring any medical reason that the c/s is necessary.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't have a cesarean if you have the option for a VBAC to be honest. Cesareans are major abdominal surgery and VBACS are generally less risky. :)

join a VBAC support group here, or even "natural pregnancy and childbirth" many of the women have had VBACs. In fact my friend gave birth a day ago at a birth center, beautiful vbac. She was home 9 hours later and is loving it!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:49 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• To be honest do what YOU feel is right. Either way you will give birth it doesnt matter how.
    Anonymous

• I prety much agree with what everyone else here says about go for a vaginal birth if you have the option. But I wanted to add, that your Dr doesnt sound laike he is really going to be very cooperative of it. He says you are a prime candidate for another c/s, most Dr's think that way, about women who havent ever even had one. The c/s rate in the us is more than 1 out of 3 have a c/s. The reasons alot of Dr's do one isnt really because a womans body needs it or the baby is in danger, but because your body isnt laboring "as fast as we would like" or something similar. If you want a vaginal birth, do your research, and find out what scinerios you would have another section, and then dont let anyone talk you into it unles you have already agreed that you will for that reason. As a vbac in the US they will be sitting around waiting for something to gfo wrong that they will sometimes see stuff that isnt there, or isnt a problem
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• http://www.ican-online.org/

http://www.vbac.com/index.html

These are two really good sites t get info and support, do some research and that way you can go to your Dr with statitics an make a better choice for you. VBAC is not for everyone, but from all the women I have heard from and the women on here the majority would prefer a vaginal birth over another section if they have had both. Gl on yur decision.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:43 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• as long as theres at least 18 months between births u should be ok (thats what my doc said) ive have all my births by c section and i really wish i had tried a vbac the second time (well actually i did try but i was in labor for so long- i went into labor at 11 am on feb 17th and went in for the csection at like 5 am on the 19th- that i threw in the towel and said get this child out! lol) but i feel like i missed out on the whole natural childbirth thing- but if theres a medical reason for one then dont hesitate go for the repeat c/s- but try and get a second opinion before deciding
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 11, 2009