Have your kids ever done anything truly dangerous?

My 4 year old stuck a Q-tip in the jar candle I had burning in the bathroom, set it on fire, and then threw it in the garbage last night. This set the garbage can on fire, which in turn set the shower curtain on fire. I was up stairs putting away clothes and she took a good little while to tell me what she had done. I learned not to trust a smoke alarm. I am rigorous about testing them and changing the batteries out...I change them when I change the clocks, so within the month...and they didn't go off til I was trying to put out the fire. The linoleum is melted, the side of the tub is melted...not to mention it could have KILLED US ALL.

I cannot believe she did that...we have been over and over not touching them...she JUST had fire safety at school and visited the fire department.

Guess she loved it so much she wanted to bring the field trip home with her. OMG.

SCARED ME TO DEATH.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• P.S. The diapers in the bathroom were the LAST thing to go out last night. It scared me to see how long they stayed lit while I was trying to put them out...and we put them on babies?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I once did that as a kid. It was in my bedroom that I shared with my older sisters. But yeah, I nearly set the apartment on fire. Thats right, an apartment building! I was substantially older than your child. I found a match outside and lit a paper bag on fire just to see what it would look like to burn. I was certain that I had put it out before I threw it in the trash can, but next thing I knew, there was a flame climbing up the wallpaper. Wallpaper smells when it burns. My children, however, have never done anything to really risk anyone else's safety. The worst he has done is nearly knock out his front teeth on playground equipment and jumping on the bed.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• That is scary. Mine haven't yet. My oldest is only 3 though...so I'm betting she'll give me a scare sooner or later.

And that is crazy about the diapers!!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have an almost 13 yr old boy, most of what he does is dangerous. LOL!! He has stuck straws in a candle (that was recent), rode his bike without shoes or a helmet (got a concussion), made Ramen noodles in the micro without the water, tried to stand while riding his bike--no handed. He risks his life 10 times a week crossing the street from his middle school to walk home. The drivers are idiots and don't follow the school speed limit of 15 mph, they go more like 40 or more. He tries to climb the tree in the backyard, he swings from the branches like a monkey. At one point the ER knew him by sight and name. He had his own exam room!! I am not kidding. BOYS are DAREDEVILS!!! LOL!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• I have to be honest. I pulled the "You just wait until your father gets home" last night. By the time I got my bathroom put out I was too mad to handle the situation properly. Apparently having the sh*t scared out of me makes me mad! lol
    Anonymous

• I am not kidding. BOYS are DAREDEVILS!!! LOL!!

thanks for pointing this out i am just learning this and i have three boys..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• i can remember my brother when we were little tyfry reminded me of all the things he used to do especially with his bike.riding down the stairs of the office building and then down this high hill at the same time.riding through the woods with his dirt bike.(motorcycle)scary...he is now up in heaven....but thanks for the memory....
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• oh yea boys will be boys, mine has caught the kitchen on fire also
    mcqueenmom

Answer by mcqueenmom at 12:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Hmmmmmmmm.... right off the top

13 yr old Lurk lit a fire in the bedroom *with* the baby sleeping in the room. Said he was trying to keep the mosquitoes off her.

He got caught riding no hands no helmet down the middle of the highway...ergo no more bike.

3 yr old Miss Munky's dad sat her up on the counter yesterday, a big non-no, so now she thinks she can bring her potty stool and climb up. She dropped some pennies into the toaster while up there. I discovered them this morning.

Shriek cleaned lipstick off Miss Munky with Mr. Clean disinfectant wipes this morning! Her older brother showed her how to *pick* the lock on the bathroom, which I keep locked at all times unless they're bathing.

Shriek and Lurk decided it would be fun to climb the 8 foot high snow piles in the middle of the roads on the way to school. Drivers couldn't see them until they were coming down the other side, one was my next door neighbour.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 1:02 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My kids have pulled a few stunts. A few years ago we were living in an apartment on the 2nd floor. The kids were 3, 4 and 5 and in their room. I had cracked their bedroom window open for ventilation and told them to stay away from it. A couple hours later I was heading to the bathroom and passed their room to find the 4 and 5 year olds hanging out of the window. It's a 15foot drop straight down to concrete. I FREAKED and started screaming at them. The windows were permanently locked shut and they both got their butts spanked. A year or so later my neighbor knocked on our door to inform me that the kids had climbed out the hall window and were running in the roof next door. Not super dangerous but super stupid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2009