Losing my reverence for the individual soldier

Yes, I am in the military, master sergeant, active duty. I have high reverence for the military, but not for many of the individual soldiers. Reason why, I see too many "shammers" that regard the military for their own taking, then complain about everything. I really like how television put the military in good light, but I don't like when soldiers say that they are fighting for our freedom when I can't get them to do anything, least press their uniforms. I also get sick to the stomach when I see soldiers having umpteen kids when I ask inside why did they sign up in the first place. Your defense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Apr. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What's umpteen kids?
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:44 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Well first of all, I salute you soldier who is fighting for our freedoms and security of our nations! Secondly, I am sure that you have a bunch of whiners and contemptuousness, as that is what our younger generation is all about. The great soldiers of WW1 and WW2 don't exist anymore. Many military got into it during the cold war thinking they would never see combat, wanting the government to pay for their education and to travel and see the world. Then when they are called to duty, they whine and complain. Not all military, just those who are described by the OP. If the heart is in the right direction, why shouldn't they sign up if they have umpteen kids?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Anon 11:53 The great soldiers of WW1 and WW2 don't exist anymore

You couldn't be more incorrect about this. I happen to have a brother in law who is and a husband who was (disabled Gulf War vet) one of those great soldiers. Just because a few members (in the span of the entire military) want to jack around doesn't mean that every soldier is. After all, I am sure that Master Sargent Anon :) isn't.

Anonymous

• I think this is what you get when you have television and recruiters out there pandering military enlistment to young men and women like its the answer to their problems of getting a good education and employment. The alternative for many who have grown up in areas of the country with underfunded schools, high unemployment, crime and an environment where very few make it out to make anything of themselves, is a lffe of more of the same. When they are smacked in the face with reality and see that being in the military isn't as rosey as it was handed to them they have bad attitudes. Especially right now, I'm sure its disheartening when they hear about those coming home and having no job waiting and little hope of getting one. Not to mention that some of them may have changed their minds about how just the cause was to be in Iraq in the first place.
    Anonymous

• How do they manage to have "umpteen kids" if they are deployed? Are you talking about those living on base? Having "umpteen kids" may have more to do with the spouse getting more foodstamps and other benefits at home. Especially if the spouse was working and is now unemployed. I understand military pay isn't really that great.
    Anonymous

• There are lazy losers in all walks of life, IMO.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• My husband is a soldier and we have 5 kids, last I checked we can have as many children as we want as long as we understand that I could end up raising them alone. Your not telling the crack dealers to not have so many kids. At least our kids have the same mother and father. He is a good soldier and does everything he can for his unit. Their ACUs don't need to be "pressed." And for the record we don't receive FOOD STAMPS and I am a SAHM.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:30 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• Anon 11:10, apparently you didn't read my entire post, I said Not all military, just those who are described by the OP. WW1 and WW2 vets were a rare breed, in whole, not partial, and if you study that you'll find it true as well. That NEVER NEGATES that there are awesome men and women in our military!! I applaud them, I revere them, I salute them, I support them, I am grateful and in debt to them. Remember, please read the entire post before becoming too defensive. To your brother in law and your hubby.......I thank them for their sacrifice, their bravery, their service to our country! I thank you and your sister in law as well, for you sacrifice and are equally brave! I think that we do not support our military and their families enough! I even donate to the wounded vets fund and disabled vets.....I wholeheartedly support them, my hubby is a Ranger, no longer active. I totally referred to the ones described by the OP

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:36 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• everybody complains about there jobs, so what it has in the military just like it happens in the real world.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:46 PM on Apr. 11, 2009

• well said stacy. ITA that there are lazy asses in EVERY walk of life, not just the military HOWEVER the military men and women I am around are actually hard working people. the lazy assed are in the minority. I think it depends on the branch( I HAVE NEVER met a lazy marine, but have ran into tons of lazy army people) there are men and women currently serving that are just as lazy as those of WW1/WW2 and men and women that are just as brave,selfless and hardworking. geesh*rolls eyes* get over it. if they are being lazy and under your command they obviously KNOW they can get away with it.
    Anonymous